2017-2018 Student Newspaper (Editor) Non-FWS Staff Position
The Lions' Pride has a variety of editor positions that can be available each year. Our staff is multiplatform, so we have a print edition, an online edition, multimedia, and several social media positions. Each position is different, but the overall requirements for all of the editor positions are listed below.
Anyone interested in an editor position needs to be on the staff for at least one semester. Those who have never been on our staff should apply for a staff position, and then let us know you are interested in moving into an available editor position, so we can start training you.
The following are editor/manager positions on our staff. Some will be available each year, but not all.
- Layout Editor
- Page Editors
- Online Editor
- Multimedia Editor
- Photo Editor
- Advertising Manager
- Social Media Manager
- Supervises staff and monitors article/assignment progress and deadlines by the staff.
- Edits articles as they are submitted and posts articles to google docs for review. Reads every article, cutline, title, subtitle, and pull-quote in the publication, correcting all errors in grammar, usage, punctuation, and style.
- Helps conduct training meetings for staff. Works individually with the staff for editing purposes and learning purposes.
- Enforces deadlines for his/her area. Keeps his/her area on track and on schedule.
- Recruits and works with contributing writers on article ideas. Monitors articles/assignments assigned to the writers.
- Cover campus news, breaking news, feature stories, general news, meetings, sports events, and more for their area. These events can be at any time of day or night.
- Interview people for articles - the ability to talk to people in person.
- Write articles and take photos (and possibly shoot video) to accompany the articles for their area.
- Attend weekly meetings, which are mandatory, unless class conflicts.
- Reliability, dependability, professionalism, and a willingness to learn.
- Strong vocabulary, spelling and grammar skills, and a knowledge of writing. Otherwise, a willingness to learn these skills is needed.
- Knowledge of digital photography and downloading photos preferred, but not required.
- Ability to use InDesign, Photoshop, and Microsoft Word. Adobe Premier Video Editing not required, but an added bonus.
- Strong organizational and time management skills needed to balance work with school.
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment. The ability to assist other teammates and work when necessary to accomplish the goals of a weekly newspaper.
- Must be dependable, self-motivated, and able to work under pressure, meet weekly deadlines, and possess good communication skills with team members.
Job ID 2017-1538
Job Locations US-FL-Saint Leo