Groundskeeper - Part-Time
The Groundskeeper is responsible for landscaping and maintaining assigned areas. Maintenance of the assigned areas includes keeping the grounds in clean and orderly condition. The Groundskeeper is responsible for general maintenance and upkeep of grounds areas as well as specific detailing of the landscape and flowerbeds.l
Duties and Tasks:
- Mows lawns and trims grass around sidewalks, flower beds and walls.
- Prunes shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth.
- Removes damaged leaves, branches, and twigs using mowers, tractors and other hand and power tools.
- Lays out and tends flower beds or other decorative vegetation.
- Maintains and sharpens tools and makes minor repairs on equipment, as needed.
- Plants, fertilizes, waters, repair/replace parts on irrigation system and uses herbicides and insecticides to maintain grass, flowers, trees and shrubs.
- Removes snow and ice from walks and driveways.
- Spreads salt, picks up litter, rakes, bags and burns of leaves.
- Cleans drainage ditches and culverts.
- Maintains driveways and parking lots by blowing, sweeping and cleaning up debris.
- Repairs fences, gates, walls, walks and outbuildings using carpentry, masonry and painting tools.
- Performs routine cleaning and maintenance on gardening and grounds equipment.
- Operates trucks and various power equipment.
- Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures.
- Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
- Applies all applicable OSHA and related local safety requirements to all assigned work.
- Performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
- Assists in training, assigning and checking the work of lower level employees.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with professionalism and respect.
- Ability to maintain a professional relationship with all coworkers, vendor representatives, supervisors, managers, customers and client representatives.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Grounds.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience preferred.
- 2 or more years of related work experience.
- Horticultural training required.
- Certification in pesticide application.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in all OSHA and local requirements related to all assigned work.
- Knowledge of sports and field grounds maintenance
- Ability to use all relevant electronic and communication devices.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours)
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move up to 40 pounds
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 40 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success.
Job ID 2017-1563
Job Locations US-FL-Saint Leo