Media Relations Associate
Strategic Relations is now accepting applications for a Media Relations Associate. The Media Relations Associate exercises independent judgment to prepare and distribute daily news clips and analytics to the senior university leadership. This position also runs media reports, provides real-time media monitoring, sends press releases, tracks media coverage generated by releases and pitches, updates website content, creates and curates media lists, researches and writes public relations materials, and monitors media relations unit emails and phone calls. The Associate must be flexible and be able to work in a deadline-oriented, newsroom-oriented environment.
Who we are:
Strategic Relations creates the strategies, messages and tools to align CU Boulder's communications, engage with and influence its audiences and advance its reputation and mission.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Exercise independent judgment and critical thinking skills to oversee daily news clips and analytics, which are sent to senior university leadership.
- Track media coverage of the university using media monitoring tools and alerts, along with review of news websites.
- Create media reports as needed.
- Track media hits associated with press releases and pitches.
- Send news releases through media distribution tool.
- Maintain, update and create media lists.
- Organize and coordinate staff trainings around media monitoring and distribution tools.
Website and Social Media
- Maintain, post and update CU Boulder Today content.
- Update Media Room webpage and content.
- Monitor and update news social media channels.
- Manage media subscriptions, coordinate and schedule meetings.
- Manage media relations team email and phone line.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned, including covering beats such as arts and culture.
What we can offer:
We can offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience.The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be engaged. Be informed. Be authentic. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in public relations, media relations, journalism or related field,
- Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- One year of relevant professional experience.
What we'd like you to have:
- Experience with Cision or other comparable media monitoring tools and analytics.
- Previous public relations or news experience.
- Familiarity with AP style.
- Professional experience in higher education.
- Experience with websites (i.e. loading content, editing), especially Drupal.
- Familiarity with photo editing software (Adobe Suite).
- Video/audio editing experience.
- Previous experience using social media social media analytics strategically.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by October 15, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-11331.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Communication
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10025 - Office of Strategic Relations
Posting Date: Oct 6, 2017
Closing Date: Oct 15, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00723159