Human Resources and Finance Manager
The Human Resources and Finance Manager is an integral part of the College of Media, Communication and Information's academic and administrative departments. The Manager works closely with the department chairs and staff to provide administrative coordination in the formulation, interpretation and implementation of processes and procedures related to HR. The Manager also provides assistance with payroll and financial approvals.
In this position, you will lead in the planning and coordination of departmental administrative activities and operations related to staff and faculty evaluation, recruitment, and compensation, develop procedures to ensure the quality of administrative, financial and human resource processes and stewardship, assist the chairs and directors with compiling administrative reports, and supervise a team of accounting staff. You will be the primary point of contact for CMCI's contract with HCM Service Center with regard to Payroll and to the CU HR Service Center (HRSC) with regard to staff and faculty HR-related contract matters including position creation, and staff and faculty offer letters.
Who we are:
The College of Media, Communication and Information (CMCI) was founded in 2015 to address revolutionary change in the way people communicate, the tools they use and the impact that change has on society. The new college has six departments that offer undergraduate and graduate degrees: the Department of Advertising, Public Relations and Media Design; the Department of Communication; the Department of Critical Media Practices; the Department of Information Science; the Department of Journalism and the Department of Media Studies. In addition, there is a graduate program in Intermedia Art, Writing and Performance. The college's interdisciplinary approach unites students and faculty from these seven academic specialties to solve emerging problems in the ever-changing world of communication and technology.
CMCI has attracted strong interest from prospective students and now enrolls over 1,800 undergraduate and graduate students, is home to five centers and labs and a growing faculty. Since the inception of the college in the fall of 2015, 40 new faculty across all departments have been hired, which has provided the opportunity to re-envision the curriculum and capitalize on relationships with new educational and industry partners.
As the flagship university in the state of Colorado, CU-Boulder is a dynamic community of scholars and learners situated on one of the most spectacular college campuses in the country. As one of 34 U.S. public institutions belonging to the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU) - and the only member in the Rocky Mountain region - we have a proud tradition of academic excellence, with five Nobel laureates and more than 50 members of prestigious academic academies.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Staff and Faculty HR Functions Management
- Formulates and updates HR policies and procedures for the college in collaboration with HR Service Center, Dean's Office, Office of Faculty Affairs and college administrative leadership.
- Provides oversight of department staff's coordination of recruiting and hiring for staff and for tenured/tenure-track, instructional and research faculty and lecturers including campus recruiting authorization process, review of ads for consistency, EEO best practices, and search committee efforts.
- Coordinates formulation and routing of offer letters through completion and Payroll setup.
- Collaborates with Dean's Office, department chairs and staff and Budget & Finance Director to develop and execute annual staff evaluation and faculty merit review process.
- Stays informed of, researches, and communicates HR policies to leadership and provides guidance as requested.
HR Service Center Liaison / HR Processing
- Serves as liaison to the HR Service Center and creates policies and procedures to allow faculty and staff to submit HR and payroll internally.
- Identifies and resolves any payroll-related issues and adjustments and personnel questions.
- Coordinates routing of HR documents for faculty/staff hires such as position descriptions and creation, routing of offer letters and submittal of final offers for Payroll setup.
- Routes student employee hires through Payroll for setup.
Supervision & Management
- Manages multiple projects, demands and competing deadlines.
- Provides consultation on college-specific financial, HR and finance-related faculty affairs issues, identifying and developing best practices and procedures for assigning and managing work.
- Ensures orderly and efficient performance of finance and business duties, maintains a friendly, responsive and professional atmosphere.
- Supervises Accounting Technicians for finance/procurement, payroll accuracy (liaison with HCM Service Center) and student workers supporting these functions.
- Sets work priorities by explaining work processes, training others (including academic department support staff) on various tasks, and monitoring progress of assigned tasks.
- Keeps team informed by holding regular meetings and discussing departmental/college issues.
- Creates performance plans and appraisals, holds coaching sessions and completes performance evaluations annually for direct reports and communicates timelines and process to college staff and leadership.
- In collaboration with Budget & Finance Director and chairs and administrative department leadership, implements policies and procedures by interpreting Federal, State and University rules to comply with financial restrictions.
- Plans, develops and implements policies and practices to assure the integrity of college department and program assets, communicating these policies and processes to faculty and staff.
- Assists college administrators in developing short-term and long-term financial goals objectives for general fund and other departmental/programmatic accounts by investigating, analyzing and interpreting financial data based on past expenditures, anticipating budget allocation and current and future commitments.
- Serves as approving official for procurement cards, serves as primary approver on large dollar purchases and payment vouchers in Marketplace, serves as approver on reimbursements (non-employee and employee), signs off on cash receipts, approves journal entries/transfers in PeopleSoft.
- Opens and closes new or unused speedtypes, decides which speedtype is most appropriate for unusual and unexpected expenses, decides when to transfer budgets, revenues and expenses to best support the needs of the departments. Identifies and resolves abnormal balances and deficits.
- Assures compliance with GASB principles of accounting, federal, state and university fiscal rules through audit and analysis of financial transactions. Reviews and implements procurement and purchasing requests to assure conformance to statues, rules, regulations and procedures governing such items. Creates and recommends improved processes, including use of forms and shared drives to maintain necessary records, transition from paper to electronic financial and administrative environment.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $58,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be strategic. Be collaborative. Be adaptable. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- Three years progressively responsible experience in a combination of human resources, accounting, finance, budget management
- Knowledge of HR functions such as recruitment, performance management, compensation, position management, etc.
- Knowledge of fund accounting
- Excellent computer skills including Excel, Word and Access
What you will need:
- Willingness and ability to learn new software and business communication software
What we'd like you to have:
- Master's degree in a related field
- Three years progressively responsible supervisory experience
- Experience in a university environment
- Experience with PeopleSoft, Concur, Marketplace
- Working knowledge of Federal, State and University fiscal rules and procedures with regard to human resources, state funds, gift funds, travel, property, purchasing, procurement
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by October 22, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-11328.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10348 - College of Media, Comm&Info-Dn
Posting Date: Oct 6, 2017
Closing Date: Oct 22, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00002907