Bookstore Assistant - Pool/Short-Term
Modesto Junior College
Bookstore Assistant - Pool/Short-Term
Salary: 2017-2018 Classified Salary Schedule
Range 12: $13.93 to $17.80 per hour
Temporary/Short-Term Work Assignment
for beginning of Spring and Fall semester rush – maximum 2 months per year January and August
Various Work Schedule:
8 hours per day/ 5 days per week
Monday – Thursday: 7:00 am – 9:00 pm
Friday: 7:00 am- 4:00 pm
Saturday: 8:00 am – 6:00 pm
Complete job description and application available online at: https://yosemite.peopleadmin.com/postings/2979
Under general supervision, performs clerical, cashiering and customer service duties in a college bookstore or related area; performs customer service and sales transactions; enters sales items in a cash register or other point of sale system; provides transaction receipts; performs general administrative support work in connection with maintaining, verifying and preparing manual or automated financial and statistical records and reports; and performs related work as assigned.
This is a full working level clerical class within the Yosemite Community College District (YCCD). Positions in this class perform the full range of administrative support and cashiering duties in support of various customer service operations.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Incumbents in this class receive general supervision, working alone on routine or regular work assignments and checking with a supervisor on non-routine assignments or when in doubt as to the correct procedures to follow.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
• Work is generally performed in an indoor commercial sales environment and involves substantial public contact.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The knowledge and ability requirements are representative of essential duties. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Knowledge of: Basic retail operations, services and activities; Methods and techniques of cashiering; Principles and procedures of customer service; Basic principles and procedures of accounting; Modern office procedures, methods and equipment including computers.
Ability to: Perform a variety of cashiering and customer service functions; Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public, faculty and students; Work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends as needed; Understand and follow oral and written instructions; Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education, experience and/or training that would likely provide the above-required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. Typical background patterns that would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities are:
• Education: Possession of a High School diploma or GED.
• Experience: One year performing clerical or office administrative support work that included customer service and cashiering.
Example of Duties
• Performs a wide range of cashiering and other clerical tasks related to product sales, financial record keeping and customer service.
• Prepares the cash register for the opening of the facility.
• Operates a cash register; makes change; processes refunds; fixes voids and makes other adjustments.
• Runs and reads cash register totals and balances to cash on hand.
• Posts information to manual and/or computerized account systems; assembles, tabulates, checks and files data.
• Assists in preparing sales and cash receipt reports.
• Prepares payroll claims; prints weekly time sheets and enters pay claims into system; calculates totals, obtains signatures and distributes claims for payment.
• Maintains vending machines; checks inventory; replenishes change; collects and counts money; re-sets machines.
• Maintains assigned work areas in a neat, clean and orderly condition; restocks supplies and materials; monitors store security and customer traffic.
• Accounts for and prepares bank deposit documents.
• Performs general administrative and clerical duties such as sorting, filing, duplicating, answering phones, and responding to informational inquiries.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Licenses and Certificates
Depending upon assignment, a valid license to drive in California may be required.
YCCD is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.