Student Financial Wellness Counselor
McDaniel College, recognized nationally among “Colleges that Change Lives” and U.S. News and World Report top-tier liberal arts colleges, is a four-year private college of the liberal arts and sciences offering more than 60 undergraduate programs of study, including dual and student-designed majors, plus 20 highly regarded graduate programs.
McDaniel College invites applications for an administrative appointment as Student Financial Wellness Counselor. Salary for this full-time, 12-month position is commensurate with qualifications and experience. At McDaniel College we value our employees by offering our full-time employees tuition remission, 403B retirement accounts with employer match, paid time off, medical insurance, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, and paid maternity and parental leave. Visit College website at https://employment.mcdaniel.edu for details.
Financial Wellness involves the process of learning how to successfully manage financial expenses. Money plays a critical role in our lives and not having enough of it impacts health as well as academic performance. Financial stress is repeatedly found to be a common source of stress, anxiety and fear for college students. Keeping track of financial aid processes, loan debt, college expenses, student bills, and budgeting are important skills to have in order to be financially responsible and independent. Learning how to maximize your financial wellness now will help you feel prepared to handle potentially stressful financial situations in the future.
The Student Financial Wellness Counselor works directly with the Director of Financial Aid to:
- individually assist students in completing all financial aspects of college enrollment
- create programming regarding financial wellness
- oversee and develop student materials to increase financial awareness
- serve as a liaison with students, faculty, and administrators regarding financial planning and surrounding family issues
- monitor, analyze and interpret assessment data from multiple offices to show student persistence
- track student progress throughout multiple semesters
- maintaining action plans and follow-up procedures for individual students
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Evidence of ability to effectively communicate with and engage diverse clientele
- Ability to think independently, yet work successfully as a member of a cohesive team.
- Strong interpersonal skills to support the development of successful collaborations.
- Strong computer skills and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher and Outlook
- Ability to provide customers with friendly empathetic service and useful information
- Knowledge around specific financial programs and benefits, including but not limited to: budgeting, student loan debt, financial planning, savings strategies, investing, etc.
Desired Certification and Education
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 2-4 years of Financial Aid direct experience OR
- Certification as an Accredited Financial Counselor (AFC), Certified Financial Planner (CFP), Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC), or certification in Financial Education.
Physical Characteristics: This position requires sitting for long periods of time, as well as some bending and stooping when working with files. This position does have some limited lifting involved but not more than 10 pounds at a time. Quite a bit of finger/hand dexterity is involved in regards to typing and/or filing. The overall setting of the job is in an area conducive to a normal office environment with minimal exposure to adverse conditions.
Please send a cover letter addressing position qualifications and related experience, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references using the following link: https://employment.mcdaniel.edu/. Only applications submitted through this link will be accepted. Review of applications begins October 15th and will continue until position is filled.
McDaniel College, an equal opportunity employer, does not discriminate in the recruitment, admission, and employment of students, faculty, and staff in the operation of any of its educational programs and activities. McDaniel College will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on basis of any protected status including race, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military status, genetic information, marital status, veteran’s status or any other legally protected status.