Police Officer II
Police Officer II (Two Positions Available)
Position Number 999495, 999499
Department University Police
Under general supervision, performs public safety, law enforcement, and related work of moderate difficulty.
Typical Duties/Job Duties
- Enforces policies, rules, and regulations of the Board of Regents, Texas Tech University system, Angelo State University, and applicable state and federal laws.
- Investigates and documents accidents, incidents, crimes, and prepares investigative offense reports using a computer aided dispatching (CAD) system.
- Operate a variety of advanced communications equipment, such as mobile data terminal.
- Patrols campus areas on foot or in patrol vehicle to control traffic, prevent crime or disturbances, and enforce applicable policies, rules, and regulations; warns or arrests violators.
- Checks building entrances and exits, and locks and secures buildings, as appropriate.
- Aids local police in investigations of incidents or crimes in adjacent, off-campus areas.
- Issues tickets to traffic and/or parking violators.
- Contacts supervisor when unusual or dangerous circumstances occur.
- Communicates with dispatcher, as needed to obtain assistance or report location.
- Provides security and crowd control services at University-
- sponsored events and functions, as assigned; transports money to and from various campus locations.
- Arranges for abandoned or impounded vehicles to be towed away.
- Provides information and directions to motorists, students, visitors, and others as requested.
- Testifies in court or at hearings on accident, theft, burglary, and other cases; serves subpoenas.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of law enforcement and public safety; knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, and procedures utilized in campus law enforcement and security; knowledge of the use and maintenance of firearms; knowledge of campus buildings and facilities and their uses.
- Ability to interpret and appropriately apply applicable rules, regulations, policies, and procedures; ability to communicate effectively with students, faculty, staff, visitors, and others contacted in the course of work; ability to effectively analyze situations, use good judgment, and take appropriate action; ability to follow written and verbal instructions and complete work as assigned; ability to work various shifts, as assigned.
- Skilled in interpersonal communications and relations; proficient in the use of a firearms and other non-lethal weapons; skilled in self-defense tactics.
- Knowledge of basic emergency management principles and procedures.
- Familiar with campus emergency operational plans and procedures.
- Basic Texas Peace Officer license REQUIRED.
- Must successfully pass an entry level written and grammar evaluation.
- Must successfully pass a psychological and background assessment.
- Incumbent must be able to work varying hours and shifts.
Position requires frequent walking and standing, and periodic bending, reaching, climbing, pushing/pulling, and lifting (up to 30 lbs.). Basic manual dexterity with both hands is required. Use of feet is required for walking patrol and operating service vehicle. Incumbent works both indoors and outdoors and is exposed to dust, heat, cold, and varying climatic conditions.
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at email@example.com.