Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor of Typography #20180059FAC
Position Title: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor of Typography
Job Posting Number: 20180059FAC
Job Location: San Marcos
College of Fine Arts and Communication
School of Art and Design
Position Description: The successful candidate will be part of this vibrant program and contribute to the ever-changing design discipline.
• Teach up to three courses per semester at the BFA and/or the MFA level;
• Participate in curriculum development;
• Pursue research/creative activity and building a substantive record of professional/peer recognition; and
• Engage in service to the school, college, university, community, and profession.
Eligible applicants must have:
• An MFA or MDes degree in communication design, visual communication, graphic design, interactive design, or related discipline completed before date of hire.
• A record of professional accomplishments in research/creative activity within the area of communication design.
• Strong design mechanics and conceptual skills.
• Demonstrated expertise in typography.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of and experience with computer-mediated technologies and core software applications relevant to the communication design discipline (e.g., Macintosh OS, Adobe Creative Suite).
• The successful applicant will receive the appropriate rank and title based on the university and school established standards. The possibility of tenure is available to the candidate appointed at the rank of associate professor or professor (contingent on approval of the Board of Regents). The successful candidate must meet research, teaching, and service standards for tenure at Texas State University.
Preference will be given to candidates who have experience in the following:
• One or more years of successful university-level teaching in communication design.
• Curriculum development in communication design courses.
• Experience teaching typography/typographic design.
• Demonstrated engagement in curriculum development in foundations.
• Demonstrated knowledge in interactive, UX and UI design, or in motion graphics.
• Service within academic, professional and community environments.
• Successful funding procurement and grant activity.
• Graduate-level research/theses supervision and advising experience.
• Online and hybrid teaching experience.
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/20780.
Application must include:
1. Letter of application stating how your experience and credentials fulfill the
requirements for this position (not to exceed two pages).
2. Current curriculum vitae.
3. Up to 20 digital files (multi-page, single PDF) representing 10 of your creative works (may include time-based excerpts no longer than five minutes each).
4. Digital files (multi-page, single PDF) of 10 student works created under your direction.
5. An annotated list for both personal and student files. For personal work, state title, media, and date. For student work, provide course title, media, date, and assignment
6. A statement addressing your current creative work in relationship to the future of the communication design discipline (one page maximum).
7. Contact information (email address, phone number) for three current references.
Search finalist will be asked to provide photocopies of graduate transcripts. The candidate selected for hire will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree granting universities.
Examples of web/video/animation/motion graphics must be listed as hyperlinks within the PDF file and link to portfolio web sites or video sharing sites such as Vimeo. Do not upload motion graphics files.
All correspondence regarding the search will be conducted via email. Please send any inquires to email@example.com and include job number #20180059FAC in all correspondence.
Proposed Start Date: Fall 2018
Open Until Filled? Yes
Review Date: 12/01/2017
Texas State University, to the extent not in conflict with federal or state law, prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System. Texas State University is an EOE.