Assistant Professor in Design History #20180057FAC
Position Title: Assistant Professor in Design History
Job Posting Number: 20180057FAC
Job Location: San Marcos
College of Fine Arts and Communication
School of Art and Design
Position Description: The School of Art and Design invites applications for a tenure-track appointment at the rank of assistant professor in design history, with a preferred emphasis in issues of modern and contemporary design. The selected candidate will be expected to be a productive scholar, an effective teacher, and will teach up to three courses per semester. Classes to be taught include an undergraduate survey course in design history (nineteenth century–present) as well as graduate courses in design history and thesis supervision. Teaching experience beyond graduate assistantships and a record of research and publications in design history is preferred. The selected candidate will be expected to work closely with both the art history and communication design programs, to demonstrate potential for a substantive record of professional and peer recognition in their field, and to engage in service to the school, college, university, and profession.
• Ph.D. degree in design history or a related field, completed by date of hire;
• A promising research agenda in the field of design history;
• Strong critical thinking skills; and
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• A record of research and publications in design history.
• Successful university-level teaching experience beyond graduate assistantships.
• Experience teaching survey courses and/or advanced undergraduate courses and/or graduate courses in design history.
• Experience supervising and advising graduate level research/theses.
• Demonstrated engagement in curriculum development.
• Research and/or teaching experience from a global perspective.
• Experience teaching online or hybrid courses.
• Successful funding procurement and grant activity.
• Service-related activities in design history or related program(s) and/or professional organizations.
• A demonstrated commitment to diversity.
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/20765. To ensure full consideration, the following application materials must be received by December 31, 2017.
1. Letter of application stating how candidate’s experience and credentials fulfill the requirements (and preferred qualifications, if applicable) for this position (not to exceed 2 pages).
2. Current curriculum vitae.
3. Writing sample, preferably a publication (not to exceed 20 pages).
4. Statement of teaching philosophy (not to exceed 1 page).
5. Three letters of recommendation.
Note that as part of our application process, we are requesting 3 letters of reference. Please provide the names and email addresses for your references in the Reference Letter section of the employment application. Upon submission of your application, an automated email will be generated and sent to your references with instructions on how to attach the reference letter to your application through a confidential online portal.
Search finalist will be asked to provide photocopies of graduate transcripts. The candidate selected for hire will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree granting universities.
All correspondence regarding the search will be conducted via email. Please send any inquires to firstname.lastname@example.org and include job number #20180057FAC in all correspondence.
Proposed Start Date: Fall 2018
Open Until Filled? Yes
Review Date: 01/01/2018
Texas State University, to the extent not in conflict with federal or state law, prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.
Texas State University is a member of the Texas State University System. Texas State University is an EOE.