The Laboratory Scientist, certified will be primarily responsible for the workup of cultures, molecular microbiology testing and specialty lab testing.
The Laboratory provides services to all aspects of this Level I trauma center and throughout the healthcare enterprise, including solid organ and bone marrow transplant, KY Children's Hospital, and Markey Cancer Center.
This position is also responsible as needed for specimen processing, specimen triage, order processing, rapid and stat testing, gram staining, performing multiplex and routine molecular assay, media QC and monitor/stock supplies, and reporting routine and digital cultures. The candidate will also perform special projects as assigned.
The CAP-Accredited Laboratory at the University of Kentucky showcases the use of state-of-the-art instrumentation and technology.
The Laboratory Services department has a variety of specialties and areas. For additional information regarding the Laboratory Services department, please follow the link to view a departmental video. Click to View Video
Laboratory Scientist/Certified - Micro
Type of Position
Position Time Status
Click here for more information about equivalencies:
Required Related Experience
Required License/ Registration/Certification
The position requires regular use of computer workstation and repetitive motion. Also, the position requires periods of standing and sitting for stretches of time. It also requires light lifting of objects up to 10 lbs.
The hours for this 1.0 FTE position are primarily day shift 7:00a-3:30p with rotating weekends. This position will also fill in other shifts as needed.
This position requires excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, problem solving skills and good keyboarding skills. The candidate must demonstrate the ability to multi-task and work as part of a team.
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
A Bachelor's degree in Medical Laboratory Science or Microbiology and previous experience in a clinical microbiology laboratory preferred.
Deadline to Apply
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * UK HealthCare recognizes the patient as our premier customer and promises to provide excellent customer services to patients, colleagues, co-workers and all others who seek our services. By applying for a position with UK HealthCare, I am indicating my commitment to service excellence and expressing my agreement to consistently recognize that: - Our customer is every person we come into contact with during our workday. - Service is being flexible, courteous and respectful while anticipating and fulfilling the needs of our customers. - Quality is the foundation of everything we do. It is our desire to provide exceptional service to every patient and customer we serve. - Careful, efficient and responsible management of our resources is vital to our success. - We want to attract, develop and retain highly skilled and competent co-workers, which will in turn achieve customer loyalty and promote the growth of UK HealthCare. By submitting my application for employment with UK HealthCare, I acknowledge that I will be held accountable to follow the UK HealthCare Behavioral Expectations if selected for a position with UK HealthCare. Do you agree to abide by the UK HealthCare Standards?
- * Please choose the answer that best describes your amount of paid employment experience in a clinical microbiology laboratory.
- More than 0, up through 1 year
- More than 1 year, up through 2 years
- More than 2 years, up through 3 years
- More than 3 years
- * Do you hold a current certification with the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), or are eligible to obtain one by date of hire?
- * Please give an example of your culture reading experience such as blood cultures, urine cultures, routine cultures, etc.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe an example of your ability to multi-task within a fast-paced work environment.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's online employment system?
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- Institute for Diversity in Health Management
- A Colleague, Friend and/or Family Member
- None of the Above
- Curriculum Vita
- Cover Letter