Manager, Media, Information and Communications - Office of the CIO (A1700582)
Manager, Media, Information and Communications
Office of the CIO
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Technology Services at Illinois is the provider of campus-wide computing, networking, telephone, and instructional technology services supporting academic activities of faculty, staff, and students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Technology is a part of nearly everything that happens at the University of Illinois. Whether it is powering research initiatives, providing services for teaching and learning, or maintaining key infrastructure that powers student, faculty, and staff success, Technology Services at Illinois is dedicated to providing world-class IT services and support to the University of Illinois.
Tech Services is looking for a communications leader who is passionate about telling great stories in a digital world. As Manager of the Media, Information, and Communications team, this highly-motivated individual will coordinate the communications efforts for all of Technology Services and work with a creative team of writers, video creators, event planners, and graphic designers.
The Manager of Media, Information, and Communications will play a significant role in the development and implementation of strategic communications and public relations activities, including branding, marketing, and crisis communications. This individual will also have a leading role in establishing and maintaining systems that foster seamless internal communications between Technology Services' nearly 300 staff members. Additionally, as CCO for Technology Services, the Manager of Media, Information, and Communications will collaborative extensively with other campus communicators, the OVCR, and Public Affairs.
Primary Position Function:
Coordinate the creation and implementation of a comprehensive, university-wide, technology communications plan, as well as provide direction and vision for the Technology Services' website, social media, marketing and publicity, and coordination of special events/projects.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership in creating, documenting, and following processes for organization- and university-wide communications regarding technology and IT services.
- Provide leadership in compiling, composing, and distributing organization- and university-wide communications including electronic newsletters, reports, social media, press releases, and email.
- Identify new and creative ideas for communicating key messages to various target audiences.
- Develop and direct content strategies for the Technology Services' website, including editing website content created by other communicators, working with web-developers to identify and implement new functional needs on the website, and working with Technology Services leadership to make sure the values of the organization are reflected in the Technology Services' web presence.
- Edit content and create processes which establish an effective, consistent voice across Technology Services' communications to internal and external audiences.
- Collaborate with content specialists, authors, writers, and editors to prepare publications according to processes and publication deadlines.
- Coordinate and review internal communications.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of Technology Services' programs, projects and special events such as meetings, receptions, conferences, workshops, annual events, lectures, staff and/or student appreciation events.
- Develop professional rapport with the university (IT Professionals, faculty, staff, and students) by both formal and informal networking.
- In the role of university CCO, represent Technology Services as the primary liaison with the Office of Public Affairs and other university CCOs.
- Create data-driven content strategies that utilize analytics and data collection to maximize the effectiveness of current content strategies, goals, and campaigns.
- Serve as a representative for Technology Services in the university community and provide presentations on Technology Services' services as necessary.
- Establish and maintain a broad range of university contacts and serve as a liaison to a wide variety of constituents such as deans, directors, and department heads of academic and administrative units, faculty, academic and non-academic staff members, students, and the general public.
- Supervise, mentor, and develop the skills of other Technology Services content creators including communications specialists and student communications interns
- Engage in or provide guidance with the drafting and review of communications to be sent by or on behalf of Technology Services leadership.
- Serve as a Technology Services representative for media inquiries, as well as coordinate outreach efforts to the media on behalf of the organization.
- Manage and supervise staff including but not limited to the recruitment and selection of staff, setting goals, conducting performance appraisals, facilitating career development, succession planning, coaching, and mentoring.
- Lead employees with a focus on operational excellence, improving processes, accelerating process timelines, and be a change champion throughout the organization and university, providing for management analysis and recommendations on improvements.
Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost
Chief Information Officer
Assistant CIO, IT Planning and Outreach
Manager, Media, Information and Communications
Academic, Civil Service, and Student Employees
Position Requirements and Qualifications
Bachelor's degree in communications-oriented field like Communications, English, Advertising, Journalism or other related field. Master's degree in communications-oriented field like Communications, English, Advertising, Journalism or other related field.
- Four years of professional experience in a communications-oriented position.
- Experience with managing staff.
- Demonstrated experience with content development and content strategies for web sites, electronic publications, and/or social media for a business or University environment.
- Demonstrated experience providing customer service that addresses customer needs.
- Experience with copyediting to conform to style guides and identity standards.
- Demonstrated experience in translating technical IT concepts to non-technical constituents.
- Demonstrated experience in taking initiative to perform job responsibilities with limited supervision.
- Experience creating and implementing plans and strategies for communicating with large and varied audiences.
- Four years of professional experience in a higher education communications-oriented position.
- Experience participating in a significant role/capacity in the deployment of at least one major IT implementation.
- Experience with measurement tools and strategies, including analytics, SEO and engagement.
- Ability to think creatively, strategically, and conceptually, coupled with practical expertise.
- Strong leadership skills and sound judgment with logical and systematic problem solving skills.
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to organize, multi-task, and function well under tight deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to write clearly for various audiences and for various communications outlets.
- Strong active listening skills.
- Ability to work with others as part of a creative team and to interact well in a professional and productive manner with staff at all levels of the organization and with other internal and external constituents.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in planning and decision-making.
- Flexibility in assignment of tasks and have the ability to handle interruptions with a minimal amount of stress.
- Familiarity with the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Ability to utilize various computer software packages (Microsoft Office Suite, Drupal, WebTools, Adobe Design Suite) and the aptitude toward learning new software/technology as needed to complete tasks efficiently and effectively.
- Knowledge of marketing principles and practices with the ability to create professional promotional materials.
- Understanding of the role of technology in higher education.
- Understands and has some experience in technical IT concepts with a demonstrated expertise in one or more IT disciplines such as programming, networking, wireless connectivity, IT security, telecommunications, multimedia, hosting and virtualization, cloud computing, or educational technologies.
Appointment Status and Salary
This position is a regular, full-time, twelve-month academic professional appointment and includes salary and a benefits package (24 vacation days, 12 sick days, health, dental, vision, SURS retirement). For other University provided benefits, please go to: https://nessie.uihr.uillinois.edu. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. There will be no relocation costs included in this package. The start date will be as soon as possible after close date.
For full consideration, applications should be received by October 6, 2017. Please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload in one file a letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references including address, telephone, and email information. The online application will require names and contact information for the three professional references. Three letters of recommendation will be required for Search Finalists. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information about this position, please contact Lori Oakes at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (217) 333-4222.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Office of the CIO
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Manager, Media, Information and Communications - Office of the CIO (A1700582)
Open Date: 09/20/2017
Close Date: 10/06/2017
Organization Name: Ofc of the Chief Info Officer