Open Rank (Assistant, Associate, Professor CyberSecurity)
Working Title: Open Rank (Assistant, Associate, Professor CyberSecurity)
Position Type: Teaching and Research Faculty
Department: Dean's Office, School of Eng and Applied Science
Posting Date: 10-05-2017
The University of Virginia (UVA) seeks highly-qualified applicants for multiple open-rank tenured and tenure-track faculty appointments in fields related to Cyber Security. Appointments are available across multiple schools at UVA: School of Engineering and Applied Science, Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy, and McIntire School of Commerce. Candidates are requested to select a base school/department for their primary appointment, optionally select a department/school for a secondary appointment, and can seek an affiliated position in our Data Science Institute. Faculty will engage in funded research, teach and advise students at the undergraduate and graduate levels and perform service for the institution and professional organizations. Rank, tenure status and compensation are contingent upon experience. UVA is proud to have a strong culture of collaboration and collegiality and is committed to creating collaborative and diverse environments necessary to solve the next generation of research challenges.
All relevant areas of research will be considered, including, but not limited to:
- Behavioral Security: Predictive and analytical behavior modeling, sociotechnical security, social and cognitive psychology approaches, building organizational resilience.
- Foundations: Theory of security and privacy, models of trust and risk, secure communication and computation, cryptography, threat modeling, anonymity-based models, and knowledge-hiding models.
- Machine learning in cybersecurity: deep learning for network intrusion detection systems, cyber threat hunting at global scale through analysis.
- Policy and Analysis: Cyber deterrence and response, cyber defense policy, public/private security partnerships, cyber regulatory frameworks, ethical issues, and data science.
- Privacy: Data and computation privacy, anonymization techniques for users and their data, and private information retrieval.
- Secure Systems: Secure O/S, databases, networks, cloud systems, hardware, embedded systems, and mobile devices/apps, CPS/IoT systems.
- Security and Privacy Applications: Forensics, malware and vulnerability analysis, human-centric security, electronic commerce.
A Ph.D. in a relevant field must be in hand by the start date of the appointment. A commitment to teaching excellence is essential, as is evidence of an explicit commitment to diversity and of advancing understanding and outcomes for underrepresented groups. For a tenure-track appointment, potential to develop a strong and high-impact publication record, and potential to obtain extramural funding in the areas of interest outlined above, are required. For an appointment with tenure, the applicant must have an emerging or established national reputation, a documented line of research related to the areas of interest outlined above, and a track record of existing and sustained extramural funding.
To apply, visit http://jobs.virginia.edu and search on Posting Number 0621821. Complete a Candidate Profile online; attach a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, statement of research interests, and contact information for three references. Applicant screening begins November 1, 2017 and the positions will remain open to applicants until filled.
For questions about the position, please contact M. Veeraraghavan via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about the application process, please contact E. Missana via email at email@example.com.
The University of Virginia is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82895