University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Facilities Management - Engineering and Central Utility Plant
Position #00653771 - Requisition 11288
The department of Facilities Management - Engineering and Central Utility Plant is currently accepting applications for a full-time, state classified Stationary Engineer (Utility Plant Operator I) position. Central Utility Plant (CUP) is required to generate and distribute thermal energy to buildings at the Anschutz Medical Campus, including all UC Denver buildings, University Hospital, and The Children's Hospital on a 24 hour, 7-day a week basis. Thermal energy is provided in the forms of steam and chilled water for comfort air conditioning, comfort heating, and service processes. Staff provide CUP operations and maintenance functions
Examples of work performed:
- Operate, service, overhaul and calibrate all equipment in the Central Utility Plant including high pressure boilers, various steam systems, industrial grade electrically driven centrifugal chillers and air conditioning systems, a diesel engine driven emergency electric generator, low and medium voltage electrical distribution systems, and various associated equipment.
- Collect and record temperatures, pressures and flow rates on all systems (hourly), verify shift and daily production goals.
- Collaborate with campus personnel for operating and monitoring climate control, electrical, vacuum and sterilizer steam systems.
- Test, analyze and record chemical content in various steam and water systems, follow chemical treatment program guidelines, and adjust chemical dosages/feed rates.
- Train and as needed, instruct other employees in operating, servicing, and calibrating all equipment, systems, operational and equipment changes, and casualty control procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned including but not limited to: reading, interpreting and working from blueprints, plans, technical manuals, and drawings.
Note: This is an essential services position. The incumbent is required to respond after hours during emergencies and report to work for regular assigned shifts during emergency campus closures.
Salary and Benefits:
Hiring Salary: $4110 / month (non-negotiable)*
*The salary offered is usually the minimum listed, however, a salary above the minimum may be offered for some hard to fill positions.
Employees hired into these positions are eligible for University benefits. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits program, including eligibility, is located at www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Please make sure to include the following in your resume: job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis.
- Four years of progressively responsible utility plant operations experience including high pressure boiler and chiller operating experience.
- Experience must comply with the type of experience required to obtain the Stationary Engineers License.
- Colorado law requires that candidates for state government jobs be residents of Colorado at the time of application.
Successful completion of a formalized apprenticeship program or higher level course work from an accredited, non-correspondence, vocational or trades school appropriate to the work assignment may substitute for one year of the required experience.
Necessary Special Requirements:
Must be willing and able to obtain a City and County of Denver Stationary Engineer certificate within 6 months of hire. If the Stationary Engineer Certificate is not obtained within 6 months of hire, the employee may be subject to termination. Specific licensing requirements for this certificate are outlined on the City of Denver's Website :https://www.denvergov.org/buildingpermits/ContactUs/ContractorLicensing/ContractorLicensing/MechanicalTypes/StationaryEngineer/tabid/432843/Default.aspx
Conditions of Employment:
- Must possess and maintain a current, valid State of Colorado Driver's License or be able to obtain one within 30 days of hire.
- Must be willing and able to pass a criminal background check, motor vehicle check and drug test.
- Subject to pre-employment, post-accident or incident or reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing per UCD Facilities Operations Department Policies.
- Must be willing and able to stand, walk and bend on a frequent basis, with or without accommodation.
- Must be willing and able to lift and carry up to 10 pounds on a frequent basis, with or without accommodation.
- Must be willing and able to use manual dexterity, eye/hand coordination, near vision, far vision, hearing, and verbal communications on a frequent basis.
- Must be willing and able to perform typing/computer entry on a frequent basis.
- Must be willing and able to work outdoors in all weather conditions including snow, rain, heat, and cold.
- Must be willing and able to work in excessively damp/humid conditions.
- Must be willing and able to work with chemicals/solvents.
- Must be willing and able to work in areas where you may be exposed to hazardous conditions.
- Must be willing and able to work with fumes, smoke or gases.
- Must be willing and able to operate moving equipment and work around machinery or moving equipment.
- Must be willing and able to work around noise/vibrations. • Must be willing and able to work alone, above ground, below ground and in small confined spaces.
- Must be willing and able to walk on uneven surfaces and climb on scaffolds/ladders.
- Must be willing and able to work straight or rotating shifts, weekends and holidays.
NOTE: This position has been designated as essential personnel, "Subject to call 24 hours per day, seven days per week" and may be required to carry a pager. Position may also be required to "Stay over late" or "Come in early" to "Cover" shifts, as needed and may be required to respond to any emergencies as needed. If hired, you will be required to provide effective off-hours phone contact info for emergency call-in purposes.
- Experience working in a central utility plant
- Experience operating, servicing, and calibrating utility plant specific equipment
- Experience analyzing and recording chemical content in various steam and water systems
- Experience training personnel in utility plant operations
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of utility plant operations including the operation of high pressure boilers, centrifugal chillers, medium voltage electrical distribution, and associated ancillary equipment.
- Experience that demonstrates the ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Experience that demonstrates strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish rapport with persons of diverse backgrounds
- Excellent oral communication skills with the ability to handle stressful situations in a calm and professional manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written form which includes the ability to check for typographical, grammatical and spelling errors
- Troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints
- Mechanical Ability
- Physical Ability
Special Instructions to Applicants:Classified Staff positions have specific application requirements: Submit all required documents indicated in this posting. Include a current email address as communication is electronic-based. Failure to complete a timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applications MUST be completed in their entirety, including job title, duties, months and years employed, and hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Address qualifications, competencies and preferred qualifications in your application, as these along with previous work experience will be used to assess competencies. Answers will be verified against your application and may be checked with references. False information could lead to your removal from the hiring process. Click here to view Veteran and other General Information regarding Classified Staff positions.
For those who meet minimum qualifications, the comparative analysis process will include one or all of the following: • Preferred Qualifications Application Review based on the preferred qualifications listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated and rated against the preferred qualifications based on information submitted within their application materials). Note: Candidates are not physically present for this portion of the comparative analysis. • Search Committee Interview based on the job requirements, preferred qualifications and competencies listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated, scored and ranked based on oral responses). You will be notified via email if the comparative analysis process changes or includes additional assessment tools other than those listed above.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: This announcement is open until October 20, 2017. To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting: A cover letter and resume that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. Your resume MUST include job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Resumes are part of the comparative analysis (selection process) and will be used as part or all of the comparative analysis process to rank candidates.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21096 - CSA-AVCFO Other FS CUP SC
Posting Date: Oct 5, 2017
Closing Date: Oct 20, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Position Number: 00653771