Instructor, Dental Assisting
Instructor, Dental Assisting
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09171
Location: Sylvania Campus
Address: 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Full-time Faculty, 1.0 FTE, Exempt
Starting Salary Range: $52,020 - $90,205/yr. Hires will normally be at Step 1, Step 2, or Step 3, depending on experience.
Job Close Date: For Best Consideration Apply by November 3, 2017
The Dental Assisting (DA) faculty position is a fulltime teaching position beginning January 2018. The successful candidate will be involved in curriculum development to achieve student competency in the domains of affective, psychomotor, and didactic performance of DA practice. The successful candidate will be immersed in establishing the balance between academic rigor and practicality of application. The focus of the DA Program at PCC is to develop competent assistants who will become Certified Dental Assistants and perform all EFDA functions as allowed by the Practice Act of the Oregon Board of Dentistry.
The mission of the DA program is implied in the values that drive our program development and implementation.
- Constant improvement in course delivery and student learning.
-Innovation in teaching methodologies that support critical thinking and problem-solving
- Developing Dental Assistants who are adept at functioning as a team member in solo, group or specialty practices
- The development of students who are proficient in delivering responsive, ethical patient-centered care
What's Great About PCC's Program
- A program that is highly regarded within the Dental Community and whose graduates are highly sought after for hire in this high demand profession
- A collaborative work and study environment between the Dental Hygiene and Dental Laboratory Technology programs that are also within the Dental Sciences Department.
- A program structured to graduate practitioners who can efficiently and effectively work within all types of dental practice settings.
- A unique program with a working dental clinic and state-of-the-art technology where students will be able to gain experience prior to required rotations off campus.
- A vibrant metropolitan economic region within two states (Oregon and Washington) that offers numerous recreational and cultural options
- A robust and supportive advisory committee comprised of DA practitioners and administrators from the oral health care community.
Portland Community College achieves educational excellence by being accountable and committed to achieving diversity. Through leadership, staff, student body, educational programs and business opportunities that serve the community, it acts as a model for others to follow.
Faculty Responsibilities and Duties:
- Instruct students in Dental Assisting, using approved course outcome guides developed by college-wide subject area Faculty; assess student performance in these courses.
- Attend and participate in college-wide, campus/center division, department, and program meetings and activities.
- Serve on Subject Area Curriculum Committees and/or such other College committees as may be assigned.
- Assist in the recruitment of students.
- Provide registration, advising, and guidance assistance to students.
- Provide professional assistance to staff and students.
- Provide information and assistance on College operations as may be requested.
- Compile and/or research data as may be assigned.
- Provide services to students in a manner which does not discriminate as to race, creed, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual preference or marital status.
- Remain current in the field through a variety of professional development activities.
- Maintain College safety standards in their work areas; ensure that students are trained in good safety practices; and make reasonable efforts to ensure that students follow good safety practices.
- Comply with published College Policies and Procedures.
- Perform other related duties as provided in Faculty Agreement.
Instructor must have current CDA (Certified Dental Assistant), Oregon Radiology Proficiency, Oregon EFDA and Sealant Certificates;
- Bachelor's Degree required;
- Clinical Experience of 5 years in a FT position either as a general chair-side assistant or as a dental assisting instructor.
- A dental hygiene license or dentist license could substitute for the dental assisting certificates.
- Evidence of recent continuing education in the areas of team building and/or dental practice management skills (Human Relations and Communication, dental materials manipulation and fabrication of impressions, temporary crowns, and study casts (Computation) and
- Experience in curriculum design, teaching or training (Human Relations)
- 2 years or more teaching/training experience in the areas of Dental Assisting Skills: Chairside Duties, Infection Control, Dental Radiology, Expanded Functions, Dental Materials
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Experience in maintaining inventory and dental equipment
- CDA, EFDA, EFODA, Sealant and Soft Denture Reline Certification
- Current CPR (Health Professional) Certification.
Additional Posting Information:
- This is a fulltime probationary position commencing January 2018. Hours of work may include evening or weekend teaching assignments. Initial assignment will be at the Sylvania Campus.
More information is available at: http://www.pcc.edu/hr/employment/faculty-information.html
To apply for this position you must:
1) Complete the online application
- Be sure to include complete employment history
2) Attach* Cover Letter
- In 1-2 pages, state specifically how you meet each of the qualifications for the position (minimum and preferred qualifications).
3) Attach* Current Resume/Vita
4) Attach* Unofficial Transcripts (Includes current PCC employees). Transcripts need to include the Title of the degree earned and the Date that the degree was conferred and the Name of the Institution
- All transcripts from institutions outside of the U.S. are required to include an evaluation by a U.S. credential evaluation agency (copy and paste the link http://www.pcc.edu/hr/employment/faculty-information.html into another browser window for specific instructions).
- Applicants Anticipating Degree Completion by January 1, 2018 must supply a letter from his/her university stating the degree title and that the degree will be granted by that date.
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Application Review Process:
1) Once the "deadline or best consideration date" has passed, an initial screening will be conducted.
2) If you are selected by the committee for further consideration you may be asked to submit written responses to a set of essay questions. You may have as little as one week to provide the required information.
3) Upon hire the selected candidate will be required to supply OFFICIAL copies of transcripts for all degrees earned.
4) Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefits package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options; including Health, Dental and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance, Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
- 1 day of sick leave for every 18 days worked (~10 days/year)
- 21 hours of additional personal leave per year
- 4 paid holidays (which occur during the term you are teaching)
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age; plus tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits, please visit http://www.pcc.edu/hr.benefits
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Faculty Federation Employees. Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.