Professional Development Counselor
"Do what you love, love what you do"
Our mission at the Nurtur Aveda Institutes is to inspire, educate, nurture, and create success in the beauty industry.
As a Professional Development Coach, you will help students create opportunities to achieve their dream of a successful career in the beauty industry.
Here's how we define success in this role:
- Create a positive impact on every student in the Institute
- Develop both nurturing and challenging skillsets
- Balance professionalism in a higher learning environment while fostering an environment where the students' needs always come first
- Make it fun and exciting, full of energy, in an industry that's ever-changing
- Keep students focused on an education towards a lucrative career in the beauty industry
- Work in a positive and nurturing culture of AVEDA
Our PD Counselors were asked what the best parts of the job were and this is what they answered:
- Watching students improve, learning to fix their mistakes and overcome obstacles
- We hold students to the Institute expectations (urgency, assertiveness, being on time, self-accountability)
- We're changing someone's life in a career path that embraces diversity and creativity and in an industry that is still growing- working in a judgement-free zone!
- We instill confidence in prospective students, setting the example day after day
- We mentor students and team members through problem solving and open communication
- Every day is different and so are our students; we embrace diversity!
- You have the opportunity to help students change behaviors so that they are successful
- Your primary focus is on students' needs
- You help students create their resumes and prepare for our successful career fairs
- You have the opportunity to see alumni working in the industry
- We are compliance driven to do what is right in education and with our students - it's in the attention to details!
When we asked them what makes our culture so great, we heard:
- We treat ourselves and the planet with respect and care, giving back to the community and to the environment
- We hold ourselves, our students and our team accountable
- We're socially responsible - servant leaders to both the community & the environment
- We're authentic; it's about beauty and wellness - no robots, please!
- We inspire and educate our students, team and guests
- We encourage, innovate and empower each other
- We connect and build relationships with the students, the team & our community
- We are team oriented, so check your ego at the door!
- Strong influence/persuasion skills
- Comfortable conducting face-to-face accountability sessions with students
- Planning and executing career fairs
- Strategic thinking/problems resolution oriented
- Disciplined work habits that promote continuous learning in self and others
- Attention to detail
- Conducting fierce conversations that hold everyone accountable
- Emotional Intelligence: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management
- Very positive attitude
- Compliance minded
- Ability to work independently, with excellent communication skills, in a fast-paced environment
- Strong desire to counsel prospective students on what is right for them
- Ability to overcome objections by offering valid solutions
- High School diploma or equivalent; Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Two years of counseling experience; prior cosmetology industry preferred
If this is the Culture you believe in, then this is the place to apply!
The Aveda Institute Columbus was founded in 2004 to create the most successful entrepreneurs in the professional beauty and body care industry. Our curriculum entails practical knowledge gained from today's most successful masters in hair care, skin care, makeup, total body care and retail services.
The Nurtur Aveda Institutes are proud to have been honored by Modern Salon's Excellence In Education Awards as a nominee in all eight of their eight categories and named a winner of one of those eight for the past three years. We were nominated in the categories of Beauty Changes Lives, Community Involvement, Facilities, Alumni & Advanced Education, Marketing, Placement, School Culture, and Technology; with a win in Alumni & Advanced Education in 2013; a win in School Culture in 2014, a win in Facilities in 2015, and a win in Placement in 2016. We pride ourselves on a well-rounded experience and education for our students and the breadth of honors we received are a testament to that commitment.
The mission of the Aveda Institute Columbus is to inspire and educate our students, our team and our guests about beauty, fashion, wellness and nature. This includes preparing our students for Professionals in the fields of cosmetology and esthiology. The Aveda Institute Columbus is committed to fostering an environment of respect and trust in order to allow students and team members to express their individuality and creativity.
The distinctive learning and work environment at the Aveda Institute Columbus encourages personal and professional growth, the continuous quest for knowledge and a commitment to teamwork.
NURTUR CORE VALUES: Everyone in the organization must follow these core values.
Fun: Promotes fun in the work place.
Trust: Creates trust by communicating with integrity
Servant Leader: Is a servant leader and serves from the heart. Leads by example - willing to perform all functions expected of team.
Teamwork: Fosters collaboration among teams and team members.
Student/Customer Focused: Is student and customer-centric in thought and action.
'Raving Fans' Customer Service: Delivers world-class customer service to internal and external customers - creates raving fans.
Continuous Improvement: Promoting continuous improvement in self and others. Develops self and others to attain full potential.
Proactive/Solutions Oriented: Is action-oriented and solutions-oriented
Accountable: Responsive to needs of team and holds team accountable Inspects what he/she expects.
Thinks Win-Win: Creates win-win relationships with team and community.
Sustainable: Is business-focused and bottom-line oriented.
Above & Beyond: Is committed to excellence and exceptional results - inspires team to surpass goals.
AVEDA SUCCESS FACTORS: Everyone in the organization must demonstrate these competencies.
Quality/Compliance: Achieving a standard of excellence with our work processes and outcomes, honoring Institute policies and all regulatory requirements
Student/Guest Focus: Striving for high student/guest satisfaction, going out of our way to be helpful and pleasant, making it as easy as possible on the student/guest rather than our department or the Institute
Communication: Balancing listening and talking, speaking and writing clearly and accurately, influencing others, keeping others informed
Collegiality: Being helpful, respectful, approachable and team oriented, building strong working relationships and a positive work environment
Initiative: Taking ownership of our work, doing what is needed without being asked, following through
Efficiency: Planning ahead, managing time well, being on time, being cost conscious, thinking of better ways to do things
Coachability: Being receptive to feedback, willing to learn, embracing continuous improvement
People management (for those with direct reports): Setting clear expectations, reviewing progress, providing feedback and guidance, holding people accountable
Fri, 22 Sep 2017 06:51:50 PDT