Assistant Professor in Special Education
Functional Title Assistant Professor in Special Education
Position Type Tenure Stream
The Department of Specialized Education Services, School of Education, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro announces the availability of a tenure-track position in Special Education at the Assistant Professor level. The successful applicant will be an individual committed to working with key stakeholders and colleagues in preparing special and general educators to work with students with disabilities in inclusive environments.
UNCG is part of the University of North Carolina 17-campus system, and it enrolls nearly 20,000 students, including 3,500 graduate students. UNCG is classified as a high research activity university with a community engagement distinction by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. The Department of Specialized Education Services offers NCATE-accredited teacher education and related programs in specialized education at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Bachelor's degrees are offered in Professions in Deafness; Special Education: General Curriculum; and dual major in Special Education and Elementary Education. Undergraduate degrees in early childhood are co-coordinated and implemented with the Department of Human Development and Family Studies (HDFS). Two M.Ed. programs are offered: Special Education: General Curriculum and Birth-Kindergarten: Interdisciplinary Studies in Education and Development (in collaboration with HDFS). Notably, a Ph.D. program in Special Education is also offered.
1. Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in special and general education teacher preparation and doctoral programs.
2. Participate in program development in the area of K-12 special education in high and/or low incidence disabilities.
3. Meet expectations for research and other scholarly activities appropriate for a doctoral degree granting institution, including peer reviewed publications and conference presentations, and interest and potential for securing external funds.
4. Contribute to the teaching, research, and service mission of the Department of Specialized Education Services, School of Education, and university.
The 9-month academic appointment start date is August 2018.
1. Earned doctorate in special education or related field with an emphasis in inclusive education and dual licensure teacher preparation, with knowledge and skills in appropriate methodologies that support access, progress, and achievement in the general education curriculum for students with high and/or low incidence disabilities.
2. ABD with a graduation date no later than August 1, 2018 is acceptable.
3. Preferred: A second related area of expertise (e.g., instructional technology, assessment, progress monitoring, evidence-based practices, high-leverage practices, positive behavioral support and intervention).
4. At least three years of teaching or equivalent experience with students with disabilities in K-12 environments.
5. Established or emerging record of scholarly productivity in relevant area(s).
6. Commitment to practice-based teacher preparation in high needs schools premised on content that supports access, equity, and inclusion delivered in face-to-face and online courses.
Tenure Status Tenure Track
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a letter of application, vitae, names and contact information of three professional references, and transcripts (electronic submission required for all materials)
Recruitment Range Competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Org #-Department Specialized Education Services - 12017
Job Open Date 10/04/2017
For Best Consideration Date 11/15/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 9
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu