Open Rank - Public Health Studies
Position Title: Open Rank - Public Health Studies
Department: Sch Health & Applied Human Sciences - 31530
Vacancy Number: 16F-135
Position Number: 4239
Location of Workplace: Main UNCW Campus
Summary of Position:
The School of Health and Applied Human Sciences (SHAHS), within the College of Health and Human Services (CHHS) at the University of North Carolina Wilmington (UNCW), seeks an outstanding faculty member and visionary leader for an open rank, nine-month tenure-track position in the School’s Public Health Studies program beginning August 2018. Appointment at the Associate or Professor rank is dependent on qualifications. Upon initial appointment, this position will also serve as the Public Health Studies Academic Program Coordinator.
Applicants must possess the following qualifications:
• Doctoral degree in Public Health, Health Education, or a closely-related field with at least 18 hours of graduate coursework closely related to Public Health.
• Demonstrated potential to develop a successful research program and grant activity in one or more core Public Health disciplines.
• Evidence of successful college teaching experience in a Public Health, Health Education or closely-related curriculum.
• Evidence of successful community involvement including the ability to develop and sustain formal partnerships with relevant health-related agencies.
• Strong communication and leadership skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with constituents across the College and University.
Preference will be given to candidates who possess the following qualifications:
• Previous successful experience in academic leadership positions.
• Previous experience with accreditation (CEPH, SABPAC).
• Experience working with diverse populations.
• Successful research program and grant activity.
• Evidence of successful technology integration in course delivery including Blackboard course management system.
Primary Function of Organizational Unit:
The mission of the School of Health and Applied Human Sciences is to promote the health and wellbeing of all persons through exemplary preparation of Health and Human Sciences professionals, community engagement, and research. The Public Health Studies Program was one of the first four freestanding undergraduate programs in the United States to receive Council on Education in Public Health (CEPH) accreditation. The Public Health Studies Program currently offers a BS degree in Public Health with concentrations in Community Health Education, Global Health and Pre-Clinical Health.
The College of Health and Human Services was created in July 2010 to provide UNCW with a new mechanism to link and focus its health-related research, professional continuing education, and health knowledge dissemination and application. In the formative stage of development, the CHHS is currently home to three professional schools: School of Health and Applied Human Science, School of Nursing, and School of Social Work. This is an outstanding opportunity to join an energetic College that seeks to be nationally recognized for its interprofessional collaboration, community engagement and impact, and implementation science. The faculty, staff, and students of the CHHS are committed to the pursuit of excellence and enhancing health and quality of life across the lifespan for individuals, families, and communities in the southeastern North Carolina and beyond.
The University of North Carolina Wilmington, the state’s coastal university, is dedicated to learning through the integration of teaching and mentoring with research and service. A public institution with nearly 16,000 students, the university is known for its superb faculty and staff and powerful academic experience. With an array of high-quality programs at the baccalaureate and master’s levels, and doctoral programs in marine biology, educational leadership, psychology and nursing practice. UNCW is consistently recognized at a national level for academic excellence and affordability by publications like U.S. News & World Report, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance and The Business Journals. UNCW also recently earned the 2015 Community Engagement Classification from the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, bestowed to higher education institutions dedicated to community involvement.
UNC Wilmington actively fosters a diverse and inclusive working and learning environment and is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified persons from all racial, ethnic or other minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position Type: Permanent
Job Posting Date: 10/05/2017
Priority Consideration Date: 11/15/2017
Priority Consideration Information: Priority consideration will be given to applications received by the Priority Date; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.