Simulated Participant (Standardized Patient)
Logo Posting Number TMP00357PO17 Classification Title Clerical Specialist Internal Title Simulated Participant (Standardized Patient) Campus Columbia 01 College/Division College of Nursing Department College of Nursing Salary $21.00 per hour Location of Vacancy Part/Full Time Part Time Hours per week 30 Work Schedule
Events are scheduled throughout the week at varying times based on programmatic needs. Employment is on an as-needed basis according to SP availability and scenario needs.Type of Temporary Position Temporary Staff Job Search Category Other
The University of South Carolina System is comprised of the state's flagship university in Columbia (founded in 1801 and currently one of the top 50 "Best Colleges" according to U.S. News and World Report), three regional comprehensive universities (USC Aiken, USC Beaufort and USC Upstate), and Palmetto College consisting of four two-year campuses (USC Lancaster, USC Salkehatchie, USC Sumter, USC Union and Fort Jackson/Extended University). Together, the USC System institutions offer more than 450 degree programs on campus and online and are uniquely positioned to meet the state's educational, cultural, health and research needs. The System employs nearly 14,000 people who work daily to improve the lives of students, fellow South Carolinians and the world. Our diverse engaged faculty and staff enjoy a dynamic and intellectually stimulating work environment.
Benefits for Temporary Positions
The University of South Carolina (UofSC), through the State of SC and Public Employee Benefit Authority (PEBA), offers temporary employees expected to work at least 30 hours per week health and life insurance, flexible spending accounts and retirement programs. To learn more about UofSC benefits, access the benefits section on the Applicant Portal.
Advertised Job Summary
Simulated Participants (SP) are individuals who interact with healthcare students in a simulation-based context to facilitate experiential learning. They play an important role in helping healthcare students gain knowledge, skills, and attitudes essential for delivery of safe, high quality care.
SPs can assume a variety of roles, including standardized patient, family member, or healthcare team member, based on the objective of the simulation-based learning experience. SPs are individuals trained to portray a patient in a realistic clinical scenario with a high degree of accuracy and reliability. They respond to medical history questions, undergo basic physical exams in simulated health encounters, and provide feedback to students to help facilitate learning. All SP roles use a script that describes the background of the role, provides details about the role's character and responses, and directs the interactions with the learners. SPs are trained and coached in their roles according to the International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning (INACSL) Standards of Best Practice: SimulationTM and the Association for Standardized Patient Educators (ASPE) Standards of Best Practice for SP methodology.
• Portray patient, family member, healthcare team member, or other assigned role in simulated cases/scenarios in realistic manner according to script
• Attend SP orientation and case training sessions
• Prepare for encounters by studying script and role preparation materials
• Simulate all aspects of the role in a standardized, accurate, and reliable manner
• Remain in-role during physical examinations, patient interviews, or case/scenarios involving communication, diagnosis and patient management, or team-based skills for learning or assessment
• Provide feedback to learners verbally or by written checklist in an accurate, honest, and constructive manner
• Work collaboratively and professionally with learners, faculty, and staff
• Incorporate ongoing feedback from simulation educators into future role portrayals
• Adhere to USC-CON CSL policies and procedures (e.g., confidentiality, physical and psychological safety, professionalism, etc.)
• High school diploma or equivalent
• 18 years of age or older
• Desire to participate in healthcare education and commitment to improving the learning experience for students
• Ability to learn case details, follow a script, and engage with learners in a genuine and authentic manner
• Highly reliable, dedicated, and punctual
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to be take direction, be receptive to coaching, and incorporate performance feedback into role
• Demonstrates a supportive attitude towards students learning new skills
• Possesses basic computer skills for receiving and responding to email correspondence, navigating internet, and completing computer-based checklists
• Ability to undergo basic, non-invasive physical examinations
• Ability to work through multiple encounters for up to 2 hours with no break
• Demonstrates adaptability to change and flexibility with role assignments
No previous acting or healthcare experience is required. To ensure a diverse group of simulated participants, all ages (18 years or older), genders, races, ethnicities, and cultures are encouraged to apply. Current or past medical conditions do not prevent individuals from serving as simulated participants. After hire and completion of orientation, individuals may be asked to confidentially disclose conditions that are observable on a physical exam (e.g., amputation, paralysis, surgical scar, etc.) to help facilitate realistic assignment to case scenarios.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies Desired Start Date 10/06/2017 Proposed End Date Job Open Date 10/04/2017 Job Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Full time employees and students enrolled in nursing courses are not eligible to apply.Quicklink for Posting http://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/19839 EEO Statement
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, age, disability, veteran status or genetics.
Hazardous weather category Non-Essential Safety/Security Sensitive or Requires a CDL Yes
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- List of References and Contact Information