International English Center Lecturer
The International English Center invites applicants to an open posting to establish and maintain a pool of applicants to fill multiple part-time Lecturer positions, as needed, that work on an 8-week session basis.
Who we are:
The International English Center (IEC), established in 1975, provides an intensive English program especially designed for students who are preparing to enter a college or university in the United States. In the classroom, students learn English via a multi-skills approach, with classes in listening/speaking, reading, writing and grammar each day. Students may also take elective courses that focus on improving certain language skills and learning specialized content. In addition to classes, the International English Center offers cultural, community and sports activities that allow the student to explore U.S. culture in a friendly and safe environment. The IEC operates under the guidance of the Division of Continuing Education, which is a college-level organizational unit of the University of Colorado Boulder.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Teach 4-18 contact hours per week, per session. Sessions are 8 weeks. Teaching includes planning, preparing, and delivering academic English instruction in all skill areas and at multiple levels. The instruction will be consistent with established quality standards and delivered in coordination with colleagues.
- Use innovative approaches to teaching that follow best practices and current research in second language acquisition, experiential and project-based learning, content-based learning, and instructional technology.
- Develop supplemental course materials and share these materials with colleagues.
- Evaluate students' performance and assign grades based on standardized rubrics and program-wide student learning outcomes.
- Complete and submit in a timely manner documentation such as syllabi, post-syllabi, student level changes, attendance records, course evaluations, and grades.
- Attend all faculty meetings and in-service workshops.
- Maintain currency in the field through participation in professional development activities.
What we can offer:
Salary starts at $50 per teaching hour.
Be inclusive. Be impactful. Be informed. Be Boulder.
Master's degree or higher from an accredited institution in TESOL OR Master's degree in a closely related field (e.g. Applied Linguistics) with a minimum of 18 graduate credit hours successfully completed in the following areas:
- Language teaching methodology
- The nature of language (e.g. linguistics)
- English structure
- Second language acquisition
- Intercultural communication
What you will need:
- Excellent proficiency in English
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Flexibility and collaborative approach to work responsibilities
What we'd like you to have:
- Experience teaching in a university-based intensive English Program
- Experience in at least one of the following areas: curriculum development, test preparation, online teaching, business/professional English, second language assessment, teacher training, content-based instruction, or program administration.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:First consideration is October 18, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-11303.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10148 - Cont Ed - IEC-Intl English Ct
Posting Date: Oct 4, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Position Number: 00628411