Maintenance Technician, Utility & Energy Services - District Energy Plants
Facilities Management at CU Boulder is seeking a Maintenance Technician for the District Energy Plants in Utility & Energy Services. In this position, you will perform highly skilled technical work in the maintenance, inspection, adjustment, calibration, and repair of District Energy Plant Systems (steam, chilled water, electric) and Combined Heat & Power facility equipment (33MW combustion turbines, 2MW steam turbine, and Heat Recovery Steam Generators).
Your responsibilities will include preventive, predictive, and corrective maintenance on various types of heavy equipment such as combustion gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, industrial boilers, chillers, and all auxiliary equipment. You will perform highly skilled maintenance on industrial mechanical systems and executes work assignments safely and efficiently in such a manner as to restore or improve the reliability of the equipment being maintained.
The position is expected to work independently with little direct supervision.
Who we are:
Facilities Management (FM) is responsible for the overall physical development, maintenance and operation of the campus. The mission of the department is to provide a safe physical environment that promotes the advancement and transfer of knowledge. We offer competitive wages, flex schedules, health insurance, paid vacation time, sick time, and holidays. Facilities Management provides a challenging and dynamic work environment that is focused on our customers and our employees.
The Utility & Energy Services Group is responsible for the safe, reliable, and efficient production and distribution of steam, chilled water, domestic water, stormwater, sewer, and electricity at the
University of Colorado Boulder.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Perform diagnostic, preventive, predictive, and corrective maintenance on various types of heavy equipment such as combustion gas turbines, steam turbines, generators, industrial boilers, chillers, cooling towers, auxiliary equipment and systems in accordance with approved procedures and work policies
- Maintains documentation of all operational, preventive, predictive and corrective maintenance for each piece of equipment utilizing the Computerized Maintenance Management System, Asset Management Systems and Operation and Maintenance Manuals. Maintain proper daily communications between internal work groups
- Works with procurement to ensure that parts, tools, consumables, and PPE are available for all maintenance related work to be performed
- Performs general housekeeping to ensure that the work site is kept clean and ensures that all tools, ladders, and containers/materials are properly stored
- Assists in the maintenance of Utility Distribution systems. Assists with planned and un-planned Distribution Outage activities
What you should know:
This is an essential services position. The incumbent is required to respond after hours during emergencies and report to work for regular assigned shift during emergency campus closures. Work may require working evenings, weekends, holidays and high-volume overtime schedules.
What we can offer:
The salary range for this position is $55,000-$63,000. The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be challenged. Be impactful. Be effective. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- High school graduation or GED.
- Five years of experience in the maintenance of equipment such as industrial power boilers, steam and/or gas turbine driven generators.
- Three years of experience with industrial or commercial chilling equipment
- OR Graduation from an apprenticeship or technical trades school in a related field with three years of maintenance work experience and two years of experience with Computerized Maintenance Management or Asset Management Systems may substitute
- Valid driver's license
What you will need:
- Demonstrated ability to effectively troubleshoot and use problem solving
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Customer service focus.
- Team-oriented attitude.
- Use of Microsoft software product such as Excel, Access, Outlook.
What we'd like you to have:
- Training from a military, accredited institution, or graduation from an apprenticeship program on boilers, turbines, steam, energy, power, heat transfer and power plant instrumentation, control and monitoring systems.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by October 19, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Click here to view Special Instructions and General Information for Veterans and Classified Staff positions.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-10394.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10492 - Facilities Management
Posting Date: Oct 4, 2017
Closing Date: Oct 19, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00736063