CIRES/NCEI Software Engineer
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado Boulder conducts collaborative research with NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI). CIRES has an immediate opening for a well-qualified Professional Research Assistant, Software Engineer for a one year term position. The successful applicant will be responsible for a challenging variety of duties related to the development of software-based solutions that meet science driven requirements. Ideal applicants will have enterprise software development experience using both front-end and server-side technologies. The abilities to work with minimal supervision and to also be able to collaborate with colleagues when needed is a must. Applicants must possess good analytical and problem-solving skills and demonstrate experience successfully implementing and testing software applications. Applicants should also exhibit a strong attention to detail and the ability to conceptualize user requirements into customer-friendly and efficient software applications. This CIRES position is located at the David Skaggs Research Center, 325 Broadway, Boulder, Colorado.
• Work with data managers and providers to optimize the archive, access, and assessment of NCEI data products and services
• Design and implement standards-based services for data access and delivery including prototyping, coding, documenting, testing and deploying scientific applications
• Work with the lead developer to implement well tested and operational code
• Research and evaluate commercial and open-source software tools and approaches
• Provide engineering support to technical operations staff when building, deploying, configuring and supporting data access and dissemination systems
• Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or similar technical discipline
• One to two years of experience as a software engineer and demonstrated success developing a variety of software systems with responsibility for analysis, design, implementation and deployment tasks
• Experience developing data-driven applications incorporating relational database engines as part of the overall application architecture
• Experience with the Groovy programming language and Gradle Build Systems
• Familiarity with Spring, Jakarta projects
• Experience with Oracle and or other relational databases
• Knowledge and or experience with Spatial data and databases
• Experience using version control (Git), issue tracking and continuous integration
• Experience with developing and troubleshooting complex software systems that run in mixed-environments including Linux and Windows
• Understanding of software design patterns
• Knowledge of NOSQL storage system
For further information, please contact Aaron Caldwell (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter; 2 - Resume; 3 - The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; 4 -One letter of recommendation This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10080 - Coop Inst Res/Envrm Sci - Dir
Posting Date: Oct 4, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: karen dempsey
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00739493