Financial Aid Advisor
The Financial Advisor provides guidance and assists students and their families to make an informed tuition investment decision by providing accurate, helpful student financial advice.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Guides applicants/students through the financial aid application process
- Performs initial contact, financial advising, and direct outreach advising sessions
- Serves as the single point of contact for all financial aid issues
- Manages escalated concerns and resolves issues in a timely manner
- Provides superior customer service to students by accepting ownership of all financial aid issues and questions
- Maintains a thorough understanding of all University financial aid programs, policies and procedures
- Ensures advising and issue management complies with applicable federal and state laws
- Maintains a thorough understanding of federal and state financial aid guidelines and regulations
- Utilizes and updates a database and processes applications for financial aid received from students
- Determines eligibility for federal, state, university, and other aid programs in accordance with all applicable laws, regulations, policies, guidelines, and other governing criteria
- Develops and formulates appropriate aid packages for students
- Formulates, produces and distributes financial aid award notifications and ensures that the financial aid that has been awarded is appropriately disbursed and credited to the students' accounts
- Accomplishes required verification of the accuracy of financial data and other detailed information submitted by students and families
- Reviews each student aid recipient's academic performance and determines whether satisfactory academic progress is being achieved
- Completes other projects and job-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree
- One year experience in financial aid operations
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Demonstrable knowledge of principles, practices, methodology, and procedures for the provision of student financial aid advisement
- Knowledge of federal Title IV and state financial aid regulations and associated processing procedures
- PC skills in Microsoft Office, database and internet applications, Banner preferred
- Excellent mathematical, communication and organizational skills
- Proven ability to set priorities and deadlines and ensure projects are completed
- Ability to work extended hours during peak times and as needed
- Self-motivated and willing to take ownership of, and quickly resolve, complex issues
- Clean background and good credit
- Clean driving record
- Two or more years of experience in financial aid operations with proficiency in financial aid advising, packaging and disbursements and scholarships.
- In-depth knowledge of federal Title IV and state financial aid regulations and associated processing procedures
- Knowledge of BANNER Systems
- Travel to represent FVSU at various recruitment events which will include transportation in the form of car, van, bus or airline.
- May be required to work beyond regular work hours (evenings and weekends) as defined by the needs of the department.
- Perform repetitive tasks; sit and drive for extended periods of time and maintain the normal range of body motion.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds materials.
- Drive University vehicles (car/van) while traveling on official University business.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.