Public Safety Security Officer
About Mills College:
Located in the foothills of Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a nationally renowned independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for women and men. Since 1852, we've been empowering students to become creative, independent thinkers who take and inspire action. For more information, visit http://www.mills.edu.
Job Status: Full-time, Hourly, Non-Exempt
Reports to: Director of Public Safety or the Shift Sergeant
Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Director of Public Safety or the Shift Sergeant, performs duties to ensure the safety and security on the College campus for students, staff, faculty and visitors. Applies crime risk and safety hazard prevention techniques, methods, practices, and enforces the College's policies and procedures. Monitors the security of the buildings; may serve as liaison between external law enforcement agencies and the campus community.
This position supports the Mission statement of Mills College by delivering excellent support and services to students, staff and faculty. Through its operational excellence, it advances the initiatives of the strategic plan, by ensuring goals are established, monitored and measured to meet the plan's timelines and objectives. This position plays a significant role in creating a vibrant and inclusive campus life.
Essential Job Functions
- Patrols and secures campus grounds and facilities by vehicle, bike, and foot. Assists in the protection of life and property on campus. Examines doors, windows, gates, roadways, and lighting to ensure security.
- Confronts and questions all suspiciously acting persons present on the College property. Responds to campus intrusions and fire alarms.
- Investigates and submits reports concerning criminal offenses committed on the campus. Prepares written reports as required. Completes and maintains records of daily activities including a Communication Log sheet with calls for service and building checks.
- Monitors and reports on a continual basis all conditions which may create security or safety hazards on the College property. Monitors the camera system to ensure there is no criminal activity at other parts of the campus.
- Contacts law enforcement, fire, or other public agencies as required. Assists public service representatives including fire, medical, and police with directions to emergency investigations;
- Enforces College and local laws, rules, ordinances, and regulations according to established procedures.
- Monitors incoming and outgoing campus traffic at the front gate location; answers incoming calls to campus security and dispatches information by radio to field patrol units. Provides information and directions to campus facilities, events, or other locations.
- Monitors campus traffic and parking; issue citations for violations.
- Provides crowd and traffic control for special events on and off campus.
- Responds to complaints from the campus community and assists parties to resolve issues as appropriate.
- Arms and disarms campus intrusion and fire alarm systems as necessary.
- Provides escort services for visitors, students, staff, and faculty. Provides other public assistance such as jump-starts, first aid for minor injuries, and provides routine information when asked.
- May provide first responder support for fires and/or first aid needs.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Basic security principles and practices.
- Public safety codes, policies and regulations
- Record keeping techniques and report writing requirements
- Basic computer programs such as email, MS Office suite, etc.
- Read, write and speak English fluently
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be customer service oriented.
- Meet or exceed the college's attendance and tardiness guidelines
- Work with multi-line phone systems
- Detect problems and report accurate information to appropriate staff
- React in an emergency and make sound, rational decisions.
- Work in high stress, confrontational or hostile environments
- Solid critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Work in crews or independently
- Understand and follow directions and complete work assignments on schedule
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Take appropriate steps to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment
- High school diploma or GED; at least 1 year of directly related experience which may include directly related certification or practicum training.
- Must have a valid California driver's license and safe driving record.
- Requires a BSIS Guard Card.
- Must have CPR and First Aid certification within 6 months of hire.
- Incumbents must pass background investigation.
- Lifting, pulling, or pushing heavy objects up to 30 lbs.
- Prolonged periods of sitting, standing, walking.
- Bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching.
- Must be able to traverse all types of terrain including up and down hills, and on off road uneven surfaces.
- Indoor and outdoor environment. Seasonal heat and cold or adverse weather conditions.
- Entering dark, unlit areas of the campus.
- Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
This position pays $18.50 per hour, and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance/403(b) retirement plan, 10 days of vacation the first year, 15 days for years 2-9, and 22 days for years 10 and up; 12 sick days and 10 paid holidays annually. Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other applicable state and federal laws. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to: http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php
To apply, please submit the following at http://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=89268
- cover letter
- contact information for three professional references
There are no relocation funds available for this position.