Director of Foundation Relations
As the director of foundation relations you will identify, research, and cultivate funding opportunities, write grants for consideration to private and corporate foundations to support the work of AGB. You will make initial contact, secure personal visits, submit letters of intent, proposals, and on-line applications on behalf of the Association. You will act as steward to current grant funders and will work with appropriate AGB staff to provide the required reports. You are an effective communicator, orally and in writing, and comfortable working with chief executive officers of potential donor organizations and members of AGB’s Board of Directors.
- Work with AGB’s vice president of programs & research, the director of corporate relations, and the association’s leadership team to establish key funding priorities for the association.
- Identify and research grant and other foundation funding opportunities.
- Establish and maintain appropriate files of biographical and financial information as well as funding priorities, application guidelines, and deadline dates.
- Coordinate with appropriate staff, to make initial contact with potential funders and schedule personal visits.
- Manage proposal writing process, including establishing schedules, gathering information, and coordinating with appropriate staff.
- Draft grant proposals in collaboration with appropriate staff.
- Monitor progress on grant – funded activity against schedule established in approved proposals and by funders.
- Compile status reports to donors on grant programs.
- Prepare correspondence, progress reports, and updates to donors.
- Coordinate all requirements with donors, such as acknowledgements.
- As appropriate, make presentations to the AGB Board of Directors and its Resources Committee.
- A bachelor’s degree required and a minimum of five years of fundraising experience in a higher education environment.
- Proven track record of success as a grant writer.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate effective relationships with representatives of donor organizations.
- Ability to meet deadlines with competing priorities.
- Excellent written and oral skills, and ability to develop clear and concise documents and presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, on the phone and in-person.
- Proficient with Windows-based software including presentation and spreadsheet software; ability to learn database management packages.
- Availability to travel as necessary. This position may require up to 40% travel during various intervals of the year.