As part of the College’s Advancement Operations team, this mission-critical position will report to the Director of Advancement Operations and will interact as a collaborative partner with all Institutional Advancement business units to provide report-writing and data analysis about the College’s constituents and fundraising financials. The report writer will play a key role in helping to create high level end-users management reports that will impact the division’s strategic goals and are central to fundraising success by having direct responsibilities in reporting writing & data analysis, data acquisition management and data hygiene management in support of strategic fundraising goals.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES AND GOALS
In partnership with the Director of Advancement Operations:
Report Writing & Data Analysis (80%)
- Using report-writing tools Oracle SQL, Argos, or other relevant report-writing tools, creates standardized and ad hoc data and financial reports to extract and disseminate data for internal and external audiences. Builds reports and report processes that will allow information to be maintained and shared among new and existing campus and online systems.
- Troubleshoots queries and system processes to ensure accuracy, timeliness and transparency of data to all users.
- Assists in the analysis and development of data analytics tools for prospect research and other frontline fundraisers to deploy analysis dashboards based upon available information. Must be able to present data visualization in a way that will establish the importance of its implications and the immediate need for action.
Data Acquisition Data Management (10%)
- In collaboration and consultation with vendors, prepares advancement data for cleansing, updating and/or acquisition from outside data collection firms. Analyzes refreshed data from vendor for completeness and develops Oracle SQL code to electronically upload refreshed data into the database management system to maximize data usage and minimize data aging.
- In collaboration and consultation with IA departments, various college departments and the IA Data Acquisition committee, analyzes historical electronically stored spreadsheets of relationship cross references, student activities, athletics rosters, current and historical alumni and student events, etc., to prepare relevant data for electronic upload into the database management system.
Data Hygiene Management (10%)
- Proactively analyzes existing advancement system data to ensure accuracy, completeness, standardization and normalization and to ensure data meets database use requirements. Through control reports and maintenance routines ensures integrity of data by identifying data anomalies and recommends corrective measures to standardize and normalize data points with the database management system.
- Develop and incorporate database management system policies and procedures including coding hierarchies and data infrastructure schematics according to database vendor standards and industry best practices.
The ideal candidate will be an analytical yet approachable individual whose focus is to deliver a superior experience and a superior product. Must have exceptional relationship management skills including a keen understanding of and track record of building successful cross-organizational relationships with diverse and varied stakeholders including IA leadership, fundraisers, ITS, directors and other IA staff. Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail required.
Minimum 5-7 years progressive proficiency with data management and report writing techniques using Oracle SQL or other report writing software. Experience in development related or higher education settings a plus. Should be familiar with process-driven data quality control and change management techniques. Must have the ability to implement strategy and deliver results.
Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related field, or demonstrated equivalent training or technical experience is required. Advanced degree and/or Oracle certifications preferred.
This position requires an extensive, varied and successful experience in the discipline of data management with a deep familiarity and understanding of Oracle SQL, and other Oracle database reporting writing products. Experience in reporting writing within Ellucian’s Banner Alumni Development environment using Oracle SQL, Evision’s Argos or other fundraising database management systems or report writing tools preferred.
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position to email@example.com.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.