Senior Director of Marketing and Communications
Eastern Mennonite University (EMU) in Harrisonburg, VA is pleased to announce an opening for Senior Director of Marketing and Communications effective Jan. 1, 2018. This is an exciting opportunity in EMU’s centennial year for the ideal candidate to work closely with the President and cabinet to provide strategic leadership in advancing a university marketing and communications strategy, build brand awareness, and lead and inspire a highly productive and professional marketing and communications team.
The Senior Director of Marketing and Communications leads and manages a team and system that is responsible for establishing and sustaining a successful marketing and communications campaign in a challenging and rapidly changing competitive environment. The Senior Director provides direct support to the Enrollment Management and Advancement Divisions of EMU to achieve targets for enrollment, giving, and alumni engagement. The Senior Director also works closely with the President in general university communications and reputation management.
The ideal candidate is a results-oriented leader who combines experience in marketing, digital platform management, market research and data-driven decision making, project management, strategic communications, public relations, advertising, brand and reputation management, strategic planning, media relations, public affairs, and institutional storytelling and issues management.
- Actively manage the operations of the marketing and communications department with an eye for operational efficiencies, optimal use of resources, ability to plan, monitor and manage a budget
- Lead and inspire a highly productive and professional marketing and communications team
- Develop annual university-wide marketing and communications plans.
- Spearhead efforts to grow regional and eventually national brand recognition for EMU, advancing admissions and fundraising goals
- Plan and prioritize internal and external marketing and communications services to achieve strategic goals for many diverse stakeholder groups ranging from students, faculty, alumni, donors, and community groups.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work with limited direction.
- Excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills.
- Ability to lead and manage in a collaborative participative academic environment.
- Ability to think strategically in developing marketing and communications plans that focus on results.
- Proven ability to utilize research-driven strategies and best practices in marketing and communications, with a comprehensive understanding of marketing and communications trends, challenges, opportunities, and issues affecting higher education.
- Ability to compose informative, accurate and engaging stories in words, sounds and visuals
- Comfortable communicating via phone or in person with campus community, alumni, donors, and media in a professional manner.
- Ability to work well with faculty, staff, students, alumni, donors, and the general public.
- Collaborate with University leaders to devise swift responses to unexpected events and issues; serve as a valued contributor to any crisis management effort.
- At least 5-7 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in a complex organization(s) managing integrated marketing communications
- Experience in marketing, digital platform management, market research and data-driven decision making, project management, public relations, advertising, strategic communications, brand and reputation management, strategic planning, media relations, public affairs, and institutional storytelling and issues management.
- Proven ability to oversee marketing and communications staff, including an ability to develop and nurture talent
- A strategic thinker with ability to create and implement plans and measure outcomes
- Strong personal integrity and work ethic, ability to maintain strict confidentiality, as well as exhibit a sense of humor and perspective
- Understand and affirm the University mission: “to prepare students to serve and lead in a global context” in the spirit of Scripture: “to do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with God.”
- Master's degree in marketing, communications, or related area.
- 3-5 years of successful marketing and/or communications experience in business and/or the professions.
- Demonstrated track record of success leading integrated marketing communications in a higher education setting
- Experience with events planning, campaigns, strategic planning, brand research and multimedia storytelling
- Experience engaging and managing diverse stakeholder groups
- Membership in professional organizations such as PRSA, AEJMC, NCA, AMA, NPPA, including faith-based communication organizations
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Title: Senior Director of Marketing and Communications
Reports to: Vice President for Enrollment, works closely with President and Vice President for Advancement
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Nov. 1, 2017. A review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
INQUIRIES: Application review will begin immediately. EMU reserves the right to fill this position immediately or to extend the search as circumstances may warrant.
Please include the following documents with your application: Cover Letter, resume, and a minimum of three reference names and contact info. Please fine applications here: http://emu.edu/hr/application/
Eastern Mennonite University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing diversity across the institution. Eastern Mennonite University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. EMU conducts criminal background investigations as part of the hiring process.