Dean, Van D. and Barbara B. Fishback Honors College
Dean - Van D. and Barbara B. Fishback Honors College
South Dakota State University
South Dakota State University (SDSU), the public land-grant research university of South Dakota, invites applications for the position of Dean of the Van D. and Barbara B. Fishback Honors College. The Honors College is dedicated to supporting quality academic and enrichment opportunities for students seeking a high level of rigor and a personalized focus in a program featuring quality and flexibility in growth experiences in and out of the classroom. The Honors College draws upon the students and faculty of all programs at SDSU, coordinating an Honors curriculum that is supported by and through all colleges. The Dean of the Van D. and Barbara B. Fishback Honors College reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. This position is a full-time, 12 month, benefit eligible appointment.
SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to and/or coordinate course offerings that address the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
South Dakota State University is South Dakota’s largest, most comprehensive university. With almost 600 faculty and an enrollment of approximately 13,000 students, SDSU has a diverse array of academic colleges including: College of Agriculture and Biological Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Education and Human Sciences, Jerome J. Lohr College of Engineering, College of Nursing, College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, University College, Van D. and Barbara B. Fishback Honors College, and the Graduate School.
SDSU is defined as a “Doctoral University, Higher Research Activity” within the Carnegie Classification and in 2014 was designated an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University by the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities. SDSU is the center of life in Brookings, a progressive and growing community of approximately 22,000 with outstanding schools, numerous industry partners, lovely parks, and well-attended cultural activities. In 2015, Brookings was named the safest college town in the nation.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Sustain the competitive recruitment of outstanding students for the Honors College that widely represent all disciplines;
- Coordinate Honors programs and activities working with administrators, faculty, and students;
- Retain and graduate students in the Honors program;
- Work with faculty who teach Honors courses and develop Honors curriculum;
- Promote and represent the Honors College locally, regionally, and nationally;
- Teach in the Honors program;
- Administer the Honors College budget;
- Promote scholarship throughout the Honors program;
- Facilitate and assist student and faculty groups in support of Honors College shared governance;
- Represent the College in university governance and establish cooperative working relationships with university administration and other academic units within the university;
- Provide leadership for university-wide programs including the sophomore leadership development program (LEADSTATE) and undergraduate research, scholarship, and creative activities;
- Coordinate the Common Read including the annual Griffith Honors Forum Lecture;
- Serve as campus coordinator for selected national scholarship programs and coordinate national scholarship applications, assisting outstanding students to be competitive in such competitions;
- Facilitate SDSU’s participation in regional and national Honors conferences and programs;
- Collaborate with Office of Residential Life and Housing personnel to facilitate meaningful educational programs in Honors Hall;
- Develop positive and mutually supportive relationships with alumni and stakeholders; and
- Cultivate development opportunities and support development efforts of the SDSU Foundation.
- Earned doctorate;
- A record of accomplishments at the rank of Associate Professor or above;
- A demonstrated ability to interact productively with other members of the campus community and contribute to the University’s academic leadership;
- A demonstrated commitment to quality teaching, learning, and overall student success;
- A commitment to the principles of diversity, inclusion, and equity; and
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, motivation, and public relations skills.
- Experience in budget preparation and fiscal management;
- A demonstrated commitment to the tripartite mission of a public land-grant university (i.e., teaching, scholarship, service); and
- A record of fundraising success.
Direct inquiries to: Kinchel Doerner, Search Chair, at Kinchel.Doerner@sdstate.edu or  688-4181.
General Information: https://www.sdstate.edu/van-d-and-barbara-b-fishback-honors-0
Application Deadline: The position is open until filled with full consideration given to applicants who apply by November 1, 2017.
SDSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu, search by the position title, view the job announcement, and click on “apply for this posting.” The system will guide the candidate through the electronic application. SDSU also requires submission of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the required and desired qualifications, curriculum vitae, and the contact information of five professional references. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with the electronic application process. Paper applications are not accepted. All candidates are treated confidentially; only the finalists will be made public.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, a criminal background check.
South Dakota State University is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its faculty, staff and students. Women, veterans, persons with disabilities, and minorities are encouraged to apply. Arrangements for accommodations required by disabilities can be made by emailing HR@sdsatte.edu. SDSU prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other protected class in the offering of all educational programs and employment opportunities. Individuals with concerns regarding discrimination should contact: Equal Opportunity Officer/Title IX Coordinator, Human Resources, Administration 100, SDSU, Brookings, SD 57007. Phone: (605) 688-4128.