Western Slope Regional Director, Startup Colorado
Startup Colorado strives to establish and sustain startup communities across the state by creating a collaborative support network of key resources in support of growth and helping impactful companies obtain flexible capital. Ultimately, Startup Colorado's aim is to catalyze local, regional and statewide support that becomes self-sustaining over time, not to own and operate all activities in perpetuity.
The organization is accepting applications for a Western Slope Regional Director to lead our efforts in Western Colorado. The geographic scope is to cover all target communities identified by the Executive Committee.
Who we are:
The Silicon Flatirons Center for Law, Technology, and Entrepreneurship is an interdisciplinary research center at the University of Colorado Law School. Silicon Flatirons' core mission is to elevate the debate surrounding technology policy issues; support and enable entrepreneurship; and inspire, prepare, and place students in these important areas.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Relationship/Network Development: relationships and networks are built by in-person interactions. Those interactions create community, which leads to outcomes for entrepreneurs. The Regional Director will curate and maintain networks that provide consistent and persistent support to entrepreneurs. This will include developing key activities that catalyze the development of those relationships (see below).
- Key Resources: the Regional Director will connect entrepreneurs to key resources that are available and meet the needs of their business. The Regional Director will achieve this by growing the network of available resources, including, talent, education, and events, to meet the needs of each community.
- Talent: beyond identifying existing talent, attracting and retaining high skilled individuals takes concentrated efforts.
- Capital Ecosystems: while not all businesses require investment, capital is one of the biggest enabling forces for any young company. Educating and connecting entrepreneurs to appropriate capital resources will be a key area of focus.
Program and Event Management
- Network Creation: work to develop and implement a statewide mentor network that meets the needs of target communities in your region, enabling Front Range entrepreneurs to contribute to local communities.
- Road Map: work with each community to establish a comprehensive implementation plan and method for tracking each community's progress.
- Quarterly Events: provide support for quarterly events on specific topics relative to entrepreneurs in each community.
- Local Monthly Events: work with the relevant communities to stand up and sustain local, regular events to convene the startup community such as meetup events, open coffee, happy hours, etc.
- Startup Showcase: provide planning and financial support for biannual startup showcase events in each community.
- Startup Weekends: provide planning and financial support for annual startup weekends in each community.
- Community Leader Enhancement: representatives from each community will also take part in network and community building activities.
Metrics and Data Analytics
- Track and analyze for each community and across the network the following:
- Activity: # of attendees, mentors companies, investors engaged, # of events and what stage of entrepreneur they address, # of locals vs. new entrants served.
- Outcomes: new business starts, survival rates and duration of companies, total funds raised, revenue generated from local sources vs. online.
- Impact: jobs by type, average revenue generated per company, taxes paid to local government, average wage of jobs created.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $65,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be engaged. Be proactive. Be successful. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in a relevant field and at least 2 years of experience working with startups.
What you will need:
- An entrepreneurial attitude, with the ability to work with very little supervision, work well in teams and operate proactively, together with a willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks as needed for the success of the program.
- Excellent written communication skills and strong organizational and project management skills.
- Demonstrated maturity, professionalism, attention to detail and an understanding of the critical importance of confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-starter and ability to follow through
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing startup environment
- Ability to interact with high-level CEOs and other C-level executives in a professional manner
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with a variety of different constituents
- High-energy and ability to thrive at public-facing networking and professional events
- Available to work some evenings and weekends.
What we'd like you to have:
- Past experience working directly with or in a startup.
- Basic understanding of venture capital and other investment models.
- History of living and working in a smaller community.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by October 16, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-11237.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: External Relations
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10352 - School of Law
Posting Date: Oct 3, 2017
Closing Date: Oct 16, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00739383