Grounds and Nursery I
Facilities Management at the University of Colorado Boulder has an opening for a Groundskeeper. This position performs emergency and routine landscape-oriented tasks for areas associated with the University of Colorado Boulder Research Park, East and South Campus locations. The incumbent must have at least one year of experience with grounds care and maintenance, greenhouse or plant nursery general labor work, be able to work well in a team environment, and exercise reliability and excellent communication skills. This is a full-time, year-round position with excellent benefits including paid vacation, sick and holiday leave; medical, dental and life insurance; retirement; and tuition reimbursement.
Who we are:
The Facilities Management department maintains the campus buildings and grounds for the University of Colorado Boulder. Outdoors Services provides routine and emergency grounds maintenance functions. This position will specifically provide the above services to the area of the Boulder campus designated as the Research Park, East Campus and South Campus areas.
The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the top public academic and research institutions in the United States. Its architecture and grounds are considered to be among the most attractive and progressive in the world.
What your key responsibilities will be:
The Groundskeeper position exists to perform a large variety of grounds keeping and landscape maintenance tasks including, but not limited to:
- Mowing lawns, tree trimming, turf and shrub maintenance, annual and perennial bed maintenance
- Native area and wetland management, landscape bed renovation and installation
- Equipment maintenance
- Removing snow/ice from sidewalks and streets, patios, and entrances by varied means
- Trash and litter removal and graffiti mitigation
- Special event support
What you should know:
- This position is an "Essential Services" Position. The incumbent is required to respond to requests for work during campus emergencies (snow, wind, rain, flood and any other natural or man-made event) and report to work for his / her regularly assigned shift during emergency campus closures..
- This position will work five (5) eight days per week, between the hours of 6:00 am and 5:00 pm based on staffing requirements of the Department. The work week for this position will be Monday through Friday or Tuesday through Saturday based on the staffing requirements of the Department
- Note: This position will require a Commercial Motor Vehicle license. The incumbent should already have a CMV or be able to acquire and maintain a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) certification *to be obtained within 6 months of hire*, based on the federal regulations found here: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=r49cfr391.11-a
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $36,924.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be engaged. Be helpful. Be creative. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Must be a current Colorado resident in order to apply.
- One year of grounds care and maintenance, greenhouse, or plant nursery general labor work experience appropriate to the job assignment.
- Must possess a valid State of Colorado driver's license and pass a criminal and motor vehicle background check. Incumbent must be able to obtain a Commercial Motor Vehicle license status.
What you will need:
- Customer service focus
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to problem solve and implement effectively
- A team-oriented and collaborative attitude
What we'd like you to have:
- One (1) or more years of commercial or public landscape maintenance or installation work experience
- Experience with noxious weed management
- Technical training in one or more of the following: Urban Horticulture, Turf Management, Arboriculture, Nursery Management, and Greenhouse Management (class room and field)
- One (1) or more years of landscape experience in one or more of the following organizations / industries:
- Golf courses
- Parks and Recreation
- Institutional Grounds - Schools, Hospitals, Governmental, Military
- Private/Corporate Grounds - Estates, Industrial properties, Property management
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by October 24, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Click here to view Special Instructions and General Information for Veterans and Classified Staff positions.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume. Must include date ranges and whether full time or part time work.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
3. DD-214 for veteran applicants.
4. If using the educational substitution for experience: proof of degree or transcripts.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-11326.
Please do not upload references at this time. Special instructions and information for Classified Staff positions: www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10492 - Facilities Management
Posting Date: Oct 3, 2017
Closing Date: Oct 24, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00703270