Dean of The School of Arts & Sciences
St. Thomas Aquinas College, a liberal arts and sciences college with very strong pre-professional programs in the heart of the New York Metropolitan Area, invites applications for the position of Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences. Reporting directly to the Provost, the Dean is responsible for all of the academic activities of the School, including faculty, curricula, assessment, and strategic planning. The Dean should have a strong vision of the role of the liberal arts and sciences, and a solid grasp of the challenges faced by institutions of higher education in the United States. The Dean should be well prepared to:
- Take the lead in the School’s response to academic and marketplace trends, especially in innovative programming and technological change.
- Coordinate evaluation and professional development of faculty in the School of Arts and Sciences and recommend faculty for hiring, retention, promotion, and tenure.
- Oversee program assessment and accreditation activities within the School of Arts Sciences.
- Improve enrollment and retention by working in concert with the Enrollment Management team.
- Promote a culture of faculty scholarship and model by example.
- Develop and maintain collaborative academic relationships internally and externally.
- Pursue professional development.
- Coordinate academic planning, scheduling, and budgeting.
- Work collaboratively with the Deans of the Schools of Business and Education and all levels of administration.
- Work supportively with students.
- Earned Doctorate in a field offered within the School of Arts and Sciences from an accredited institution.
- Proven record of administrative excellence and evidence of commitment to teaching and research commensurate with a tenured faculty position.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience with accreditation and assessment strongly recommended.
Please send the following materials electronically to Dr. R. Murray, Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs, St. Thomas Aquinas College at email@example.com: a cover letter addressing the applicant’s credentials and experience as they relate to the position; a personal philosophy statement about the value of a liberal arts and sciences education; curriculum vitae; and names, addresses, and contact information for five professional references. Preference will be given to applications received by November 30, 2017, but will be considered until the position filled. Start date: July 1, 2018.