OPERATIONS MGR, DLAR
OPERATIONS MGR, DLAR
Lab Animal Resources
- Supervises the animal care staff.
- Plans and schedules work assignments.
- Ensures that schedules are efficient, assignments are made promptly, and working time is utilized efficiently.
- Assigns duties to employees and monitor quantity and quality of work performed.
- Communicates assigned duties verbally and in writing. Monitors work assignments daily, weekly, and in accordance with SOPs.
- Establishes performance standards for animal care and facility sanitation according to animal welfare regulations and AAALAC accreditation guidelines.
- Makes recommendations to Director, Assistant Director and/or Staff Veterinarian and participates in leadership team meetings.
- Monitors repairs, equipment, materials, and supplies needed for facility operations such as cage wash systems, carts, wheel castors, light timers, automatic watering devices and the condition of the physical plant. Inspects facility daily.
- Assists Assistant Director in assigning animal housing space to achieve needs of research projects and the efficient use of facilities and manpower.
- Issues appropriate corrective action, including counseling and formal actions when needed, in accordance with Duke University work rules. Monitors attendance of employees in accordance with appropriate University/departmental policies and procedures.
- Conducts interviews and makes hiring recommendations.
- Facilitates the movement of animals coming to the university and the movement of animals within the medical center, and other facilities as needed.
- Expands technical knowledge base to enhance effectiveness on the job.
- Leads staff meetings and attends leadership team meetings.
- Serves on various committees/projects as assigned.
- Shows initiative by making suggestions that lead to improved work processes.
- Identifies opportunities to enhance customer service. Takes initiative to promote a safe work environment. Ensures that employees are following OESO and department safety guidelines.
- Demonstrates leadership by helping staff to achieve goals. Ensures that commitments are met and problems resolved when out of the office.
- Consistently fosters respect in the workplace. Displays excellent communication skills in listening and responding to others in all situations. Communicates the need to train and support employees as the department changes.
- Treats customers with dignity and respect.
- Delegates challenging assignments to employees to support development.
- Balances quality and cost effectiveness in making decisions.
- Participates in AALAS Certification Registry and maintain "Registered" status at Laboratory Animal Technologist, and CMAR Levels.
- Reports to the Assistant Director, Head of Facility operations.
1208 OPERATIONS MGR, DLAR
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires extensive knowledge of laboratory animal care and management principles generally acquired through a Bachelor's Degree in Animal Husbandry, Biology, Animal Science or related field. LATG certification required; CM certification preferred.
Work requires five years of experience in laboratory animal resources, to include 2 years in a managerial experience OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.