Summary of the Position
The physical demands of this position range from MEDIUM to HEAVY. This position involves daily furniture movement and distribution of parcels across campus including: office and apartment furniture, trades appliances and equipment, HVAC and Building Services equipment, as well as palatalized stock. These are completed in accordance with all applicable OSHA regulations and established schedules and procedures at Bentley University.
Standing, walking, lifting, carrying and reaching are performed on a frequent to constant basis. Bending, pushing, pulling, climbing, kneeling and twisting are performed on an occasional to frequent basis. The heaviest physical demands are required during handling of furniture and heavier trades and HVAC equipment. These activities require handling of 35-100 pounds of load resistance on a frequent basis. Heavier tasks may require the assistance of (2) or more co-workers.
1. Physically moves time-sensitive items such as all mail, materials management, office and apartment furniture, trades appliances and/or heavier trades equipment, stock, including doors, cabinets, HVAC and Building Services equipment. Coordinates and implements daily moving schedules in an orderly and productive fashion.
2. Safely operates and has knowledge of the use of dollies, jacks, power lifts, two wheel trucks and large box trucks.
3. Safely and productively utilizes work-study students in assisting with daily moving assignments or other departmental functions.
4. Maintains adequate supply and upkeep of moving equipment, moving pads, dollies, straps, etc.
5. Works in conjunction with Residence Life in the replacement and/or distribution of residence hall furniture.
6. Participates in training to keep and acquire knowledge, skills, and abilities to remain current with standard operational practices and revised standards.
7. Reports building damages, malfunctioning equipment, needed maintenance and/or repairs in assigned work areas.
8. Responds to emergency call-in situations and may be required to work weekends.
9. Interacts professionally with members of the Bentley community.
10. Inputs data into the computerized work order system, recording time and work order information.
1. Assists Grounds staff and other trades when special conditions exist and/or when directed by a Facilities Manager.
2. Provides appropriate support in major campus activities including but not limited to: snow removal, freshman orientation, open house, opening/closing of school, baccalaureate and post-baccalaureate commencement.
3. Follows proper clean-up and recycling procedures as well as observes all safety rules and regulations (including OSHA regulations) while handling and/or caring for Bentley tools and equipment to avoid injury to self and others.
4. Must be able to assist in performing a variety of tasks in the following areas; carpentry, painting, plumbing, electrical, masonry, machine maintenance, heating and air conditioning, fire alarm and sprinkler systems, and landscaping.
5. Performs all other related duties necessary to meet Facilities Management requirements
Minimum Qualifications(Education and Experience Requirements)
1. Must have 3-5 years experience in furniture movement and a working knowledge of material distribution.
2. Must possess a valid Hoisting License, or, must be able to obtain one within 60 days of hire.
3. Must be physically able to perform the essential duties of the position as set forth in this Position Description.
4. Must be able to read, write and interpret documents in the English language, e.g. safety rules, material safety data sheets (MSDS), operating repair, installation and procedure instruction manuals.
5. Must be able to effectively interact and communicate with co-workers and supervisors.
6. Must be available for emergency call-in situations.
7. Use of Bentley motor vehicle required for related duties. Must hold and maintain a valid, unrestricted United States driver's license, with an insurable driving history as determined by Bentley's insurance carrier. May be required to drive a Bentley issued vehicle.
8. Properly uses and cares for Bentley tools, radios and equipment.
1. Ability to squat, kneel and maintain bent postures from 5 minutes up to 10 minutes for a continuous duration, on an occasional to frequent basis. 2. Ability to walk on level, uneven and inclined surfaces on a sustained basis and climb steps up to 24 steps and ladders up to 18-ft on an occasional to frequent basis. 3. Ability to lift up to 50-pounds individually and up to 100-pounds with assistance, 0-72 inch height range, on an occasional to frequent basis. 4. Ability to carry up to 50-pounds up to 25 Feet on an occasional to frequent basis. 5. Ability to push and pull against resistances up to 100-pounds on an occasional basis. 6. Ability to extend reach with both arms, from floor level to overhead, handling up to 45-pounds on an occasional basis. 7. Ability to manipulate small parts, machine and vehicle controls and various hand tools on a frequent basis.
Posting Detail Information
Special Instructions to Applicants
This position is regularly scheduled to work Monday – Friday 7:00am -3:30pm.
Bentley University requires reference checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you possess a minimum of 3-5 years of related experience?
- * Do you possess a valid hoisting license?
- * Do you hold and maintain a valid, unrestricted United States driver's license, with an insurable driving history?
Documents Needed To Apply
- Cover Letter
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity.