Requisition Number STA - 201000000542
Job Title Custodian
The University of North Texas at Dallas invites applications for the position of Custodian.
The University - the first four-year public institution of higher education in the city - seeks an individual who will help shape the character of a 21st century, teaching-focused university. Candidates should be able to express enthusiastic support for the mission of the university to transform the lives of students, families and communities by providing high-quality, student-focused education in preparation for tomorrow's careers, and its vision to create the place of choice where students are inspired to learn, faculty are inspired to teach and the community is inspired to support. For more information about the university, go to: http://untdallas.edu/
This is cleaning work and custodial care of University buildings. Work involves the performance of cleaning and sanitation work in an assigned building or work area, and occasional special project work. Work requires the application of proper cleaning methods and materials. Employees work under general supervision of assigned supervisory staff in accordance with established routines. Work is reviewed and evaluated through inspection of work performed. Specific duties may vary depending upon the type of facility to be cleaned.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, strips, waxes, and buffs floors, hallways, and stairways.
- Cleans and vacuums carpets and rugs.
- Cleans and dusts furniture, walls, ceilings, windows, windowsills, woodwork, and other building surfaces.
- Cleans and sanitizes rest rooms, baths, commodes, urinals, lavatories, drinking fountains, and other fixtures.
- Picks up and removes trash and other waste from building and cleans waste receptacles.
- Unlocks building doors as required for building functions and programs.
- Moves furniture for cleaning purposes.
- Replaces burned-out light bulbs and fluorescent lamps.
- Transports recyclable materials to drop off point on a scheduled basis.
- Reports building conditions and situations requiring the attention of Facility Technicians.
- Observes safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
Demonstrated ability to follow simple oral and written instructions, keep simple records accurately, and perform simple calculations as required by the position; stable employment record; physically able to perform work involving standing, stooping, operating cleaning equipment, and lifting of trash and equipment; or any equivalent combination of experience, education and training which provides the following:
- Ability to be trained in the basic functions of the position.
- Ability to read and understand labels on chemicals and work from oral instructions.
- Ability to keep records and complete forms accurately.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts to complete tasks (example: measuring and mixing cleaning chemicals.)
- Sufficient knowledge of cleaning methods and the proper use of cleaning equipment.
- Ability to operate vacuum cleaner, floor waxer, floor buffer, and other cleaning equipment.
- Physical ability to perform work involving standing, stooping, operating cleaning equipment, and lifting of trash and equipment.
- Ability to recognize and to report maintenance needs in buildings.
- Ability to be honest, dependable and reliable.
- Knowledge of appropriate safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work requires some muscular exertion and/or physical strain such as standing for long periods of time, recurring bending, or recurring lifting of items weighing up to 25 pounds.
Driving University Vehicle? No
Monday- Thursday 2pm-11pm and Saturday 10am to 7pm.
Substitution of Experience/Education Yes
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter