Staff Assistant, Writer
Staff Assistant, Writer
The Division of Marketing and Communications is responsible for telling the Bridgewater State University story to the institution’s major audiences, including current and prospective students, faculty and staff, alumni and donors, media, regional business, non-profit and governmental institutions and leaders, and the general public. The division manages all facets of the university’s communications and major communications channels, including branding, marketing, advertising, publications, the university website, media relations, major social media channels and video production. Bridgewater is a thriving university, which has undergone extraordinary growth in enrollments and programs in the past two decades. The Division of Marketing and Communications is growing and seeking staff who are creative and driven to help tell the BSU success story.
The Staff Assistant works closely with the director of University News to provide written content for the college's website, social media sites and publications (hereafter “BSU platforms”). This content could include written articles, ranging from brief stories and profiles of faculty, students and staff, to full-length feature stories and other material as needed. This position would also require pitching stories to the external media and taking photos for some stories.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: The Staff Assistant reports to the Director of University News.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: The Staff Assistant may supervise subordinate professional, clerical and student employees assigned to the Office of University News.
This is an exempt, APA unit position and is subject to the terms of that union agreement.
Position Type: APA Professional
1. Write story briefs and feature stories for use on all BSU platforms.
2. Write profiles of members of the BSU community for use on any and all platforms.
3. Cover events as assigned.
4. Pitche appropriate stories to external media.
5. Edit copy written by others.
6. Work with Digital Director and Web Content Editor in developing content for the website and/or social media.
7. Take and edit photos to accompany stories, as well as to provide images for use on all BSU platforms.
8. Work with faculty and administrators to procure story and profile ideas.
9. Regularly contribute story ideas for BSU platforms and external media.
10. Other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications or a related field.
2. Minimum of one year of related job experience.
3. Strong writing ability, ability to cover events and produce copy on tight deadlines.
4. Ability to find and feature stories across campus and beyond, and locate sources and other materials necessary to produce well-rounded and compelling copy.
5. Strong editing skills a must.
6. Solid people and interviewing skills.
7. Ability to pitch stories to external media, including newspapers, television and radio editors/producers.
8. Ability to work with a wide variety of individuals, including the university president, senior leaders, faculty, staff and students.
9. Solid organizational skills.
1. Three to five years of experience in public relations or newsroom environment; experience in higher education a plus.
2. Ability to take photos to accompany stories.
Bridgewater State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employee with disabilities.
Office activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and interaction with computer equipment; Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 5 pounds.
Special Conditions for Eligibility:
Please be aware that employment at Bridgewater State University is contingent upon completion of a successful background check.
Salary Range: $45,000-$55,000
Posting Number: S00270P
Open Date: 09/28/2017
Close Date: 10/15/2017
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please note the following information is required to complete your application for this position:
*a minimum of one (1) employment history entry.
*a minimum of three (3) professional reference entries.
*a minimum of two (2) writing samples
To apply, visit https://jobs.bridgew.edu/postings/9441
Bridgewater State University (BSU) is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer which actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workforce. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people.