Executive-in-Residence or Assistant/Associate Professor
Executive-in-Residence or Assistant/Associate Professor Director of the Business of Creative Enterprises Program
Emerson College seeks a full-time, experienced faculty member for a faculty leadership position in our Business of Creative Enterprises (BCE) major. The BCE major attracts students with a passion for arts and communication, and who seek careers leading and managing businesses in the creative economy. Distinct from traditional business majors or arts management programs, the BCE major prepares students to become future executives, managers, and innovators in new or existing creative enterprises in Arts and Entertainment, Communication, Media, and Publishing sectors. The appointment date is negotiable, but a January 2018 start date is preferred.
Primary Duties, Responsibilities, and Tasks:
Emerson College is committed to an active, intentional, and ongoing engagement with diversity—in people, in the curriculum, in the co-curriculum, and in the college’s intellectual, social, cultural, and geographical communities. Emerson endorses a framework of inclusive excellence, which recognizes that institutional excellence comes from fully engaging with diversity in all aspects of institutional activities. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their teaching, research and service that they can contribute to our excellence in this area.
The successful candidate will be responsible for three major areas important to the program’s growth and sustainability:
Teaching and Curriculum Development:
- Teaching in an area of expertise that draws upon the candidate’s professional background in the Creative Enterprises
- Training and evaluating faculty teaching in the program, as well as assigning courses and planning course schedules
- Continuing development and updating of curriculum specific to the major’s requirements as well as elective courses of interest to students in this program
- Further developing and coordinating the Senior Experience for BCE students
Recruitment and Admissions:
- Work with Emerson’s Central Admissions Office to tell the program’s story to recruiters and applicants
- Meet with prospective students and parents informally and at scheduled Admissions events
- Apprise key stakeholders of recruitment and admissions results and suggest strategies for growth
- Conduct regular media outreach to garner publicity for the program and the College that furthers recruitment and enhances program stature
- Build on the work done by current faculty to expand the number of industry and non-profit partnerships, create partnership agreements that are mutually beneficial, and set in place partnerships that will support the Senior Experience, Internships and Job Pipelines
- Secure partnerships that will offer opportunities for co-learning with other academic institutions and industry partners to support the experiential aspects of the curriculum
- Assist Institutional Advancement as needed with fundraising
Successful applicants must have a minimum of an MBA or master’s degree in a related field and evidence of successful classroom teaching experience at the university level. In addition, the applicant should have significant experience in creative industries such as media, entertainment, publishing, performing arts, and advertising, among others. Academic administrative experience is preferred. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate effective outreach and professional networking skills.
The faculty appointment may be at the rank of Executive-in-Residence (full-time contract) or Assistant/Associate Professor (tenure-track or tenured). A record of scholarly/creative work commensurate with desired ranking is required. The position anticipates service contributions to include student advising, participation in departmental committees and the life of the college generally.
Emerson College is the nation’s only four-year institution dedicated exclusively to majors in communication and the arts in a liberal arts context. Its main campus is located in the center of the dynamic multicultural city of Boston, in close proximity to major publishing houses, arts institutions and research centers. The college also has campuses in Los Angeles and the Netherlands. Emerson College enrolls over 4,300 graduate and undergraduate students from more than 70 countries and all 50 states.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit a cover letter indicating your professional experience, teaching qualifications and interest in Emerson College and the BCE Program, along with a resume/CV and contact information for three references who will not be contacted without the applicant’s written approval. Review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until the position is filled. Questions about the position should be directed to the chair of the faculty search committee, Professor LuAnn Reeb at email@example.com.
Open Date: 08/23/2018
Requisition Number: FY17/180137FAC
To apply, please visit: www.emerson.edu