DEAN, COLLEGE OF SOCIAL AND BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES
Weber State University is an exceptional comprehensive university providing associate’s, bachelor’s, and master’s degrees to meet the needs of the region. WSU graduates are broadly educated, capable and prepared for meaningful careers, graduate and professional schools, and civic engagement. The hallmark of the university is excellent teaching with small classes designed for extraordinary interactions between faculty and students. WSU offers over 230 separate degrees/programs- the largest and most expansive undergraduate program in the state of Utah.
Our student body of over 26,000 students draws predominantly from Utah, but also from all 50 states and 35 foreign countries. WSU takes pride in its student-centered learning environment and believes that quality education is founded upon close associations between faculty and students. WSU is distinguished by outstanding academic programs that recruit motivated students to work with faculty to create and share knowledge.
The college will be moving into a newly renovated, state-of-the-art building in early 2019 on WSU’s Ogden campus. Weber State University’s campus in Ogden, Utah, is 35 miles north of Salt Lake City. Situated in the foothills of the spectacular Wasatch Mountains, Ogden offers abundant outdoor recreation opportunities.
The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences offers major programs that explore a wide range of human issues, from the distant past to contemporary social patterns, and provides pathways to careers through multiple learning platforms, from traditional classroom instruction to online learning and high impact practices. In addition to specific courses that prepare students for diverse occupations, general education courses furnish an extensive breadth of knowledge, core intellectual tools for problem solving, and sustainable stewardship of human relations and the environment. Programs, such as the Center for Community Engaged Learning, the Walker Institute of Politics and Public Service, and the Richard Richards Institute for Ethics, demonstrate the commitment to community and civic engagement. The Dean of the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences will serve as academic leader for the college within a university environment that fosters collaboration and shared governance.
Weber State University seeks a Dean who has:
● A PhD in one of the college’s major disciplines, a strong record of academic achievements, and demonstrated experience in academic administration
● The breadth of experiences necessary to represent and serve as an advocate for all the programs within the college: Anthropology, Criminal Justice, Geography, Gerontology, History, Military Science, Neuroscience, Philosophy, Political Science, Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, and Women and Gender Studies
● The skills to implement a recently formulated strategic plan that advances excellence in teaching, research, and community engagement
● The aptitude to guide the scholarly, professional, and extracurricular activities of the college, including university-wide focus on student recruitment and retention
● The experience, aptitude, and commitment to lead successful fundraising efforts
● The ability to foster a supportive environment where a diverse faculty, staff, and student body are successful
● Demonstrated commitment to high-quality teaching, including online education and scholarship, as important components of academic excellence
● Demonstrated vision, strategic leadership, and organizational management skills
● Demonstrated collaborative leadership style
● Demonstrated ability to acquire and allocate resources, including faculty positions, and experience with the management of large, complex budgets in an environment of transparency and cooperation
Review of applications will begin on November 15, 2017. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply: complete the online faculty/staff data form at jobs.weber.edu and attach a letter of interest, CV and the names and contact information for five references.
Criminal background check required as a condition of employment.