Senior Business Intelligence Manager
The University of Colorado's (CU) Procurement Service Center (PSC) is one of the leading higher education procurement offices in the nation. With multiple national awards and recognitions, the PSC is dedicated to using technology to enhance the University's programs and create efficiencies within policies. The PSC supports the entire CU community, which includes four campuses plus system administration. CU is an internationally-known public research university serving Colorado, the nation and the world through leadership in high-quality and professional training, public service, advancing research and knowledge, and state-of-the-art health care.
To meet the PSC Staff and to learn a little about our organization, please see the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt_2lHVjxw4&feature=youtu.be
The Senior Business Intelligence Manager leads the Business Intelligence Group of the Strategic Procurement team. Strategic Procurement is a unit of the Procurement Service Center (PSC). The mission of the Business Intelligence Group is to inform and support decision-making, planning, and evaluation processes of the PSC as a means to enhance its strategic objectives.
This position helps advance the PSC mission by identifying and evaluating options, providing exceptional fact-based data analysis and visualization techniques, and supporting PSC leadership in facilitating conversations with strategic suppliers, customers and stakeholders. The position also supports complex value creation (cost, quality, service, risk mitigation and innovation) and value measurement, by appropriately framing the data analysis so that leadership can review and advance initiatives with key stakeholders as needed. The position will enhance data accessibility and the analytical capabilities within the PSC to support internal continuous improvement efforts.
The position requires exceptional data architecture, management and analytical skills to create and maintain a professional data management infrastructure. This position is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Supervision Received or Exercised
- This position will report to the Director of Strategic Procurement ;
- Grow and develop individual contributors assigned to the unit; and
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the Business Intelligence group.
Duties and Responsibilities:
35% - Business Intelligence Strategy
- Review and refine the PSC data governance strategy, including, but not limited to, data quality, data flow documentation, data dictionaries, governance methodology, and identifying all data sources used by the PSC;
- Develop risk mitigation strategies to create redundant data management capabilities to protect against service disruption;
- Partner with the Information Technology team(s) as necessary in creating the data governance and risk mitigation strategies; and
- Strengthen the PSC's capacity to achieve its goals by providing knowledge and information for decision-making and action at all levels; and
- Develop a process to prioritize data analysis requests and provide status reporting to customers and PSC leadership.
35% - Provide Analysis & Consultation
- Develop and apply predictive modeling techniques, forecasting analytics and algorithms to drive policy recommendations for PSC leadership;
- Through strong data visualization and presentation skills, deliver complex analytical findings to a non-technical audience;
- Analyze and interpret results, pinpoint trends, correlations and patterns in complicated data sets utilizing statistical tools;
- Support PSC leadership as productivity, process efficiency and effectiveness standards are developed by providing metrics that measure the impact;
- Work with PSC team members to identify reporting and analysis needs;
- Build dashboards and data stories to provide insights and strategic decision-support to PSC team members and key suppliers, customers and stakeholders;
- Support the building of analytical culture by empowering PSC team members to find insights in data;
- Utilize consultation skills to support collaboration with internal customers to improve service and bring additional value to the CU community; and
- Support PSC leadership in the preparation of PowerPoint presentations, case studies, white papers and other research requirements as needed.
- Evaluate current PSC reporting environment and make recommendations regarding consolidating, refining and/or eliminating redundant reporting efforts.
20% - Provide managerial leadership to the Business Intelligence Staff
10% - Special Projects - Executes other projects as assigned which support the mission of the PSC.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To be successful in this position, the individual must possess all of the following:
- Advanced proficiency in the use of Microsoft applications, SQL and database management.
- Advanced proficiency in the use of data visualization software such as Tableau or similar products.
- Advanced knowledge of statistical concepts, techniques and analytical skills.
- Advanced communication skills and a flexible customer service attitude, along with providing a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, customer service environment.
Who we are: System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. This position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary has been established at $95,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Disability, Vision, Life and Wellness
- Retirement: 10% Employer Match
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Benefit
- ECO Pass
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience (education requirement may be substituted by professional experience on a year for year basis).
- Five (5) years of professional experience providing business intelligence services.
- Two (2) years of successful supervisory experience.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Information Systems, Business Intelligence, or similar program.
- Experience working with data systems and reporting tools in a higher education environment.
- Expertise with creating reports and dashboards in Tableau or similar product in a large institution.
- Proficiency with creating reports based upon user experience best practices.
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by October 15, 2017. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and references to your application as three separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 52000 - Procurement Service Center
Posting Date: Oct 2, 2017
Closing Date: Oct 15, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Robin Bryant
Posting Contact Email: Robin.Bryant@cu.edu
Position Number: 00705123