Dean of the School of Information (1768)
Pratt Institute invites expressions of interest for the Dean of the School of Information. Reporting to the Provost, the Dean serves as the chief academic and administrative officer for the School, which offers graduate study within five Masters programs: Library and Information Science, Museums and Digital Culture, Information Experience Design, Data Analytics and Visualization, and Library Media Specialist. The Dean will lead the School into its next chapter, working collaboratively with the faculty and staff to achieve its vision of empowering people to improve lives and communities through information, knowledge, and culture. The School of Information is distinguished in the information field through its mission, which is in part to lead the information field, through teaching and research, in making connections with the arts, culture, and technology.
The Dean will possess the academic and administrative experience to garner the respect of the faculty and to lead the School in realizing its articulated vision. S/he should be an accomplished scholar as well as experienced with academic administration, including strategic and systematic planning, leading accreditation efforts, program and school evaluation, experience operating within a shared governance framework, financial administration, personnel management and development. An earned doctorate is required. Devoted to a creative learning community, Pratt recognizes the strength that stems from a diversity of perspectives, ideas, backgrounds, approaches, and experiences. We aspire to continue to grow as a place that always welcomes and encourages individuals of all backgrounds to contribute to and be part of Pratt culture.
Planning and Evaluation
- Lead data-driven school planning efforts, including strategic planning and systematic planning, and ensure planning efforts address stakeholder needs.
- Engage in program and school evaluation; lead efforts in making improvements stemming from such evaluative activities.
- Chair SI's Faculty Council, the School's primary shared governance body.
- Practice transparency and openness in communications and decisions with stakeholders.
- Engage in development activities in cooperation with Institutional Advancement.
- Academic Leadership and Service
- Work with faculty and School Curriculum Committee to develop high-quality academic programs and up-to-date curriculum for all programs.
- Lead the development of a strong and diverse faculty, overseeing hiring, recruitment, development and promotion activities in accordance with the faculty union contract.
- Lead the development of the course schedule and assign faculty to teach course sections.
- Teach 0-1 courses per semester and participate in scholarly research activity.
- Engage in service at various levels (Institute, school, professional community and community service).
- Lead the recruitment and admission of a strong and diverse student body, in collaboration with office of admissions and enrollment.
- Manage student concerns or issues in accordance with Institute policies and procedures.
- Act as chief academic and administrative officer for SI and all its constituent programs, providing strategic direction that leads the school into its next chapter.
- Lead, manage and evaluate administrative staff (currently 2 FT staff).
- Appoint, evaluate and collaborate with degree-program coordinators to ensure best-in-class academic programs.
- Oversee all School budgets and ensure proper financial stewardship.
- Be responsible for all school communications, include web and print content.
- Lead efforts to enhance SI facilities.
Lead accreditation efforts of the MSLIS program, and participate in other key Institute accreditation efforts.
Education: Earned doctorate in a relevant field from an accredited institution required.
Experience: Must be an accomplished scholar and have significant experience with academic administration
Leadership and Management:
* For full list of skills, please see our full job description at http://tinyurl.com/y8ls35jr
SALARY is commensurate with education and experience.
Please submit a letter of interest and curriculum vitae via our internal application site at http://tinyurl.com/y8ls35jr. Consideration of candidates to begin December 1st, 2017 and continue until the position is filled.
PRATT INSTITUTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND RECOGNIZES AND VALUES THE BENEFITS OF A DIVERSE WORKFORCE