Grants/Contracts Program Manager
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | Department of Emergency Medicine
Grants/Contracts Program Manager (Research Services Program Manager)
Position #740071 - Requisition 11316
The Department of Emergency Medicine has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Grants/Contracts Program Manager (Research Services Program Manager) position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is currently seeking applications for a Grants/Contracts Program Manager. This is a full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position, will be responsible for managing the administration of grants and management of regulatory processes involving grants and contracts for the Department of Emergency Medicine. This Program Manager role will provide high quality, creative, and solutions-oriented grant and contract support, as well as make recommendations at the strategic and operational levels to the Chair and Director of Finance and Administration (DFA).
Using available resources, this position will investigate discrepancies and incorporate feedback to ensure accurate financial reporting on grants. This position will also verify transactions and details posted to the General Ledger (GL), handle payroll changes and transfers related to grants, as well as conduct other budget proposals and analyses as requested. This position will be faced with multiple priorities, as well as difficult situations, and will be required to be flexible, adaptive, and able to articulate thoughts and explanations to those with varying levels of understanding in finance and budgeting.
Examples of Work Performed
- Manages the grant and contract operations of the Department of Emergency Medicine, including CARE Innovation Center contracts.
- Develops and implements strategic objectives that will promote the growth and advancement of the Department and University, while also ensuring compliance with University, CU Medicine and State guidelines.
- Leads the development of Department grants/contracts polices in order to ensure compliance with University, CU Medicine and State guidelines.
- Ensures budget projections accurately reflect the grant activities of the Department and prepares budget/reporting tools for internal and external constituents.
- Responsible for budget preparation, construction, forecasting, financial planning and analysis, and process improvement within the scope of grants and contracts.
- Prepares regular financial reporting for the Director and Vice Chair of Research.
- Manage all service agreements in the department. Reviews agreements for cost effectiveness and develops budgets to ensure cost reimbursement exceeds costs for all agreement. Negotiates with sponsors for budget consideration.
- Partners with key faculty and assists with budgeting for new grants and contracts.
- Partners with the Vice Chair of Research in order to prepare, review and approve budgets.
- Prepares periodic reports for the advising chair, DFA and SOM related to the status of department grants and awards.
- Acts as a backup for proposal development as part of pre- and post-award activities.
- Develops and manages a contract requesting process in the department and determines the administrative cost for each contract utilizing managerial accounting techniques.
- Creation and implementation of internal reporting mechanisms to track and manage grant and CARE Innovation Center contract activity.
- Manage and assist with grant application submission (paper and electronic) and CARE Innovation Center contract agreements.
- Review monthly accounting activity on all sponsored project accounts ensuring compliance with internal and external policies.
- Research and reconcile discrepancies on accounts
- Policy and infrastructure development in collaboration with Director of Finance and Administration and Vice Chair for Research.
- Ensure propriety of transactions involving payroll transfers and journal entries.
- Create customized monthly reports that concisely itemize, interpret, and compare expenditures to budget.
- Manage funding distribution, payroll transfers, etc. for research faculty and research assistants.
- Review of CARE Innovation Center contracts; obtain appropriate legal review from University Counsel, CU Medicine or the Office of Grants and Contracts, as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position has been established at $60,899 - $79,778 and is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, business administration, finance, or other closely related field.
- This position requires progressively responsible, diverse and extensive experience in contract management, grants management and/or financial management.
Substitution: Relevant experience may substitute for the degree on a year-for-year basis, but not for the specific experience.
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university in a related field.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Products, including: Word, Access, Outlook, and Excel.
- Experience with fund accounting.
- Experience working with standard accounting policies and procedures.
- Higher education accounting experience.
- Higher education budget management, modeling and forecasting experience.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work with a diverse group and competing interests.
- Ability to tolerate a high degree of ambiguity yet work effectively to fulfill the mission, goals and objectives of the department.
- Knowledge of standard accounting practices.
- Knowledge of fund accounting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively, in both written and verbal format, with a variety of people, including faculty and administrators, staff and affiliates.
- Ability to work independently, exercise sound judgment, identify and set priorities for self and others, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent time management and organization skills.
- Ability to effectively explain processes and procedures.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to represent the University in a professional manner with tact and diplomacy.
- Strong commitment to the team approach.
- Ability to understand complex systems and guide other personnel with regard to their use.
- Demonstrate professionalism, strong work ethic and commitment to high standards.
- Strong financial management and the ability to manage funds from a variety of sources.
- Solid understanding of budget development and management.
- Ability to evaluate, analyze and interpret vast amounts of data, recommend solutions and implement the preferred course of action.
- High degree of technical skills in fiscal management, and knowledge of accounting and business practices, including accounting software packages.
- Knowledge of various CU, CU Medicine, UCH and University policies, rules and regulations pertaining to financial matters.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Frances Schulz at email@example.com.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by 10/13/17. Those who do not apply by 10/13/17 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Research Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20353 - SOM-Emergency Medicine
Posting Date: Oct 2, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Frances Schulz
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00740071