Laboratory Technician 2
Working Title: Laboratory Technician 2
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Department of Neurology
Posting Date: 09-27-2017
The Department of Neurology at the University of Virginia is currently seeking a Laboratory Technician 2. The incumbent supports ongoing research of the Principal Investigator. The employee is expected to provide increasingly complex technical support for projects and may engage in increasingly complex scientific experiments. The person will operate under supervision with a degree of independence when following set protocols and procedures. The person will maintain several breeding colonies of mice. The responsibilities will include maintaining a breeding schedule, weaning of pups, and collection of tail pieces for genotyping. The technician will also maintain a database of the animals available for experiments. This person may be required to assist in mice and rat surgeries and in making animals epileptic as required. May be required to perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Biology, Biochemistry, or other related sciences is required, as well as a minimum of 1 year of laboratory experience obtained at the bench. Experience as a student may be considered.
This position is restricted and contingent upon the continuation of grant funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of performing routine laboratory data analysis and procedures (including PCR, gel electrophoresis, and RNA and DNA prep).
2. Ability to comfortably prepare solutions and reagents.
3. Ability to perform or learn to work with small animal models.
4. Ability to follow set policies and procedures and adhere to regulatory guidelines in daily work.
5. Ability to work accurately and independently with attention to detail.
6. Ability to analyze and organize work procedures.
7. Ability to plan and execute tasks or experiments.
8. Ability to accurately interpret and report findings.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82858