Executive Director, Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service
Working Title: Executive Director, Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service
Position Type: University Executive Staff
Department: Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service
Posting Date: 10-13-2017
The University of Virginia is seeking a dynamic and innovative Executive Director for the Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service. The leader will establish and implement strategic initiatives that continuously transform and improve the Center, its relationship with partners within the University, its service to private sector clients and governmental officials across the Commonwealth, and its contribution to research and professional practice worthy of national repute. The Executive Director will demonstrate and maintain a successful track record of organizational leadership, internal and external communications, oversight of research contributing to effective policy formulation, and vision for significant impact in government functioning in Virginia and nationwide.
The Executive Director will also oversee a range of functional areas including human resources, finance, communications, grants and contracts, opportunities for student engagement, and overall administrative operations, as well as an annual planning process to ensure initiatives align with institutional strategic goals.
Some key priority areas are:
- Advancing the Center's Mission and Providing Executive Leadership
- Institutional Advocacy and Outreach
- Organizational Fundraising
- Collaboration across the University to Advance Center Goals
Candidates are expected to have a record of significant and successful executive management experience, preferably in government, academia, journalism, philanthropic foundations, or similar public-minded organizations. A Graduate Degree is required. A terminal degree is preferred in a field of study relevant to the duties of this position. Those fields include, but are not limited to: politics, government, sociology, public policy, urban planning, economics, demography, and public administration.
Candidates with a Ph.D. or terminal degree in their field, along with a body of research, publication, and teaching may be considered for the academic affiliation potentially associated with this position.
A competitive applicant for the Executive Director role will have many of the following knowledge areas skills or abilities:
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to recruit, lead, and inspire a dedicated, diverse, and highly accomplished faculty and staff
- Ability to be an innovative, forward-thinking, tech-savvy leader
- Eagerness to develop ties between the University's scholars and the policy world
- Ability to represent the Center across Virginia, to state and local government officials, and to other influential community and state leaders
- Familiarity with the applied and academic public policy community
- Interest in academic scholarship and in intellectual engagement with policy questions
- Willingness to build long-term relationships with Cooper Center supporters, friends, and donors
- Absolute integrity and high character
- Intellectual curiosity
- Ability to inspire faculty, staff, and donors
- Commitment to fiscal stewardship and budgetary discipline
- Willingness to collaborate with stakeholders across the University and represent the Cooper Center effectively
To apply, visit https://jobs.virginia.edu and search for posting number 0621764. Complete the Candidate Profile online and submit a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references. For questions about this opportunity, please contact Melissa Hurst at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information may be found at: https://executivesearch.virginia.edu/search/executive-director-weldon-cooper-center-public-service
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82832