Laboratory Specialist Intermediate
Working Title: Laboratory Specialist Intermediate
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Department of Surgery
Posting Date: 08-30-2017
The Department of Surgery at the University of Virginia is seeking a Lab Specialist Intermediate.
Responsibilities of this position include independently anesthetize large animals for surgery. Prepare large animals for surgery including, intubation, and catheterization; perform simple surgical procedures, monitoring large animals throughout surgical procedures and collecting data. Incumbent is will also monitor post-operative animals, provide analgesia as required, maintain anesthesia and surgery records, and provide drug treatment as prescribed in protocol.
Incumbent will be expected to maintain a mouse colony and perform mouse surgeries including animal prep, surgical procedures, treatments, and euthanasia. Other responsibilities as directed by laboratory manager to include weekly inventory and ordering of supplies, drugs and animals.
Qualified applicants must have a Bachelor's degree in a related science and at least six years' experience (may include student experience). A Master's degree in a related field may substitute for required experience.
This is a restricted position and is contingent on continued funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of relevant University, state, and federal policies and regulations.
2. Ability to collect, prepare and review data, specimens, and literature.
3. Knowledge of specific areas of research subject matter expertise.
4. Ability to synthesize information, provide advice, and address needs independently.
5. Knowledge of identification, coordination, and interpretation of research projects and results.
6. Knowledge of grants, budgets, and protocols.
7. Excellent oral and written communication skills in daily interactions.
8. Ability to clearly articulate specific information in areas of subject matter expertise.
9. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
10. Ability to navigate University databases and systems.
11. Ability to lift 75 lbs.
12. Knowledge/Ability to anesthetize large animals.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82651