Lab and Research Tech I
Working Title: Lab and Research Tech I
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Department of Biomedical Engineering
Posting Date: 08-07-2017
The Department of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Virginia seeks a Laboratory and Research Technician to work in the laboratory of Dr. Janes to perform dual computational and experimental research in ErbB receptor signaling. The incumbent will be expected to perform reconstructions of biological models in MATLAB and learn wet lab techniques (quantitative PCR, immunoblotting, 3D culture) to validate and test these models.
Qualified applicants must have a High School diploma or equivalent and a minimum of one year of laboratory experience, which may include student experience. A Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering or related science is preferred and may substitute for experience. One summer of experience performing computational analysis involving a structured programming language such as MATLAB is also preferred. To apply, visit https://jobs.virginia.edu and search on Posting Number 0621460. Complete a candidate profile on-line; attach a CV, cover letter, contact information for three references and a statement of Research Interest. The position will remain open until filled.
The University of Virginia is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.
This position is restricted and contingent upon the continuation of funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. High proficiency in MATLAB and core competency in cell and molecular biology.
2. Familiarity with ordinary differential equations (e.g., through coursework) and an ability to learn and apply different numerical methods for solving systems of ordinary differential equations.
3. Ability to transfer algorithm into code.
4. Excellent communication skills.
5. Ability to persevere and work hard.
6. Ability to work independently without constant guidance.
7. Ability to interpret and analyze large quantities of data.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82488