Working Title: Project Manager
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: School of Medicine
Posting Date: 09-25-2017
The School of Medicine (SOM) - Project Management and Continuous Improvement team, at the University of Virginia, is looking for a Project Manager who will help us achieve operational excellence and deliver value to our faculty, staff and students. The project manager will primarily manage projects that focus on improving SOM administrative processes, supporting medical education, research, and clinical missions of the school.
Most projects will start with the current state analysis, elimination of waste, and creation of an improved future state design. In many cases a technology solution will need to be developed or deployed to automate certain process components. The project implementation will be concluded with the transition to continuous improvement. The project manager will manage every phase of the implementation and will accomplish this by using Lean and Agile methodologies and leveraging collaborative relationships with business partners and subject matter experts across grounds, as well as external vendors as needed.
It is required for candidates to have a Bachelor's degree in an area such as Computer Science, Math, Business, Systems or Process Engineering, or related discipline, and have a minimum of two years' experience with project management, process analysis and improvement. Eight years of relevant experience with project management, process analysis and improvement may be considered in lieu of a degree. Candidates are expected to be proficient with MS Productivity Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Visio).
It is preferred for candidates to have a Master's degree in an area such as Computer Science, Math, Business, Systems or Process Engineering, or related discipline, as well as at least two years of experience in project management, process analysis and improvement using Lean methodology. Certifications in project management and Lean are also preferred.
This is a restricted position contingent upon the continued availability of funding.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to learn quickly new processes and systems.
2. Strong problem solving skills and successful 'outcome-based' thinking. Ability to utilize critical thinking, quantitative methods, and conduct root cause analysis to solve complex problems. Disciplined, data-driven approach to decision making.
3. Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to influence and motivate others. Ability to coach others.
4. Ability to provide high-quality customer service, build and strengthen relationships.
5. Excellent organizational skills.
6. Ability to provide written and verbal communication, including presentations, adjusted to appropriate audience.
7. Ability to facilitate group discussions that encourage collaboration, seek diverse opinions, and challenge participants to consider various approaches/solutions.
8. Attention to detail and ability to handle multiple projects and tasks on time sensitive schedules.
9. Ability to work in team as well as individual environments.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82841