Director, Employee Relations
Working Title: Director, Employee Relations
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: Chief Human Resources Office
Posting Date: 09-14-2017
The Director, Employee Relations position is a strategic role designed to manage best in class employee relations services to support the University of Virginia. This position is responsible for leading and overseeing all strategic initiatives across the employee relations team. Functions within the team include supporting the broader HR service delivery model, and ensuring alignment with HR Operations, HR Business Partners and HR Communities of Expertise. This position will also provide guidance and direction to leadership in the Academic division and Health System on a variety of ER issues, including HR policy interpretation, disciplinary performance management, HR investigations, employee discipline and misconduct, and remediation of employment-related disputes.
The incumbent will report to the AVP, HR Talent and lead a team of HR Managers for the Health System and Academic division.
This is a critical moment in the University's Human Resources evolution. The University has embarked on a series of ambitious changes for Human Resources that will play out over the next few years and have impact in the coming decade. To learn more about this transformation as well as the competencies expected to all future HR professionals, please visit https://ufirst.virginia.edu/.
University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Lead, organize and prioritize very busy desk, constant interruptions, and multiple tasks
- Exercise autonomy, independent judgment and decision-making, provide sound reasoning for
recommendations and balance information to resolve issues and mitigate risk
- Problem solve with a passion for human resources and continuous improvement
- Effectively work as a member of a team, communicate ideas, coach and facilitate change at all levels
- Successfully negotiate a particular situation and provide solutions
- Manage multiple projects and analyze data to provide recommendations to senior management on
process and business improvements
- Exercise sound business judgment, business acumen, tact and diplomacy
- Think quickly, and have an approachable nature and sense of humor
- Handle confidential and sensitive matters and distill complex issues into easily understood elements
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82753