Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs-Marietta Campus
Coordinate the administrative work flow processes among the various units reporting to the Vice President and/ or Associate Vice President; perform other related duties as assigned.
A leader in innovative teaching and learning, Kennesaw State University offers more than 150 undergraduate, graduate,and doctoral degrees to its more than 35,000 students. With 13 colleges on two metro Atlanta campuses, Kennesaw State is a member of the University System of Georgia and the third-largest university in the state. The university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties, and entrepreneurial spirit, draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. The university's alumni network is 105,000 strong. The Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Learning has elevated Kennesaw State to an R3 classification, as a doctoral institution with moderate research activity. KSU is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country.
Reporting directly to the Vice President for Student Affairs, the Assistant Vice President serves as the senior student affairs officer on the Marietta campus, and provides vision and leadership for the student affairs team on the Marietta campus. The Assistant VP oversees a number of student affairs units, ensuring consistency of service to Marietta students. The Assistant VP also coordinates the entire student affairs team on the Marietta campus to create a supportive and seamless experience for students.
Impact and Influence
• Serve as a member of the Student Affairs senior leadership team and the Division of Student Affairs Council.
• Responsible for the overall vision, direction, leadership, and the continued development of a student-centered team and program within the Division and the University, offering programs focused on student success.
• Lead and provide direct and indirect supervision of professional staff who are responsible for initiatives and resources including, but not limited to: Student Activities; Marietta campus-based registered student organizations, including seven residentially based fraternities and ten applied academic competition teams; student leadership development and service initiatives; student engagement; multicultural student affairs; student center operations; adult and commuter student affairs; administrative associate; and an operations specialist.
• Through centralized communication with campus partners, oversee the coordination and collaborative efforts among the various offices of the Division of Student Affairs, Auxiliary Services, Academic Deans and other colleagues on the Marietta Campus.
• Provide leadership in the areas of planning, human resources, policy development, operational, facility, and budgetary aspects for all reporting units.
• Meet regularly with the Marietta campus Student Affairs team to strategically plan and determine resources and programs to support student recruitment, retention, progression and graduation, and to establish the student affairs presence for students on the Marietta campus.
• Responsible for continuous assessment of the areas under his/her direction, resulting in ongoing improvements, appropriate changes and new intervention or services as warranted. Engage in on-going benchmarking of best practices to ensure strong evidence-based services and programs
• Develop short and long-term goals for the areas of direct supervision to successfully implement and achieve Divisional goals and objectives.
• Establish expected outcomes for each office/unit and its programs and services, evaluate outcomes and prepare reports as appropriate.
• Ensure compliance with local, state, and/or federal agencies as related to the programs and services within the offices.
• In collaboration with the Associate Vice President for Student Affairs & Dean of Students, provides leadership and coordination in times of crisis and serve on the Behavioral Response Team.
• Lead priorities related to the Marietta campus as outlined by the Vice President for Student Affairs and the Division of Student Affairs leadership team.
• Lead and serve on divisional and university committees.
As part of the background check process, this position WILL require a satisfactory MVR (Motor Vehicle Report) as a condition of employment. See http://www.usg.edu/hr/manual/motor_vehicle_use for policy guidelines.
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and/or veteran status.
Bachelor's degree and 8 years of demonstrated experience.
A Master's degree is strongly preferred (Student Affairs or related field); a terminal degree is preferred
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
• Minimum of seven to ten years of full-time, post-Masters experience, preferably in Student Affairs
• Strong leadership, interpersonal, management, and innovative problem-solving skills
• A proven track record in creating and empowering teams to support student success and direct supervisory mentoring experience
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively within a team and with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, and backgrounds
• Ability to navigate a multi-campus, large public comprehensive university
• Availability to work weeknights and weekends, as required
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills