Professional Development Officer
General Description of Position:
The Kansas Farm Management Association (KFMA) program has provided a farm business analysis educational program to the farm families of Kansas for over 85 years. Twenty-six KFMA Economist positions in 11 offices provide support to, and work cooperatively with, the more than 2,200 member farm operations.
This position is an appointment of the Kansas Farm Management Association (KFMA) through K-State Research and Extension’s Department of Agricultural Economics. Funding for the position is provided in full by the KFMA Program through the KFMA Program Development Fund held at the K-MAR-105 Association.
Information about KMFA:
The Kansas Farm Management Association (KFMA), through its affiliation with K-State Research and Extension, will be the valued and trusted provider of integrated data management systems to apply critical thinking and strategic business planning for farm and ranch decision makers; and will be the premier source of farm-level economic data in the world.
KFMA Mission and Purpose:
- To work as an efficient team of economists, serving on the management team for KFMA member farms, as a farm business management resource.
- To provide high quality and timely farm recordkeeping, financial analysis and tax management.
- To achieve the goal of improved farm and family decision making, resulting in increased farm profitability and sustainability.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community.
The Successful Candidate will:
Assist in planning and creation of professional development programs and training materials for KFMA Economists in the delivery of the KFMA program to members. Provide support and input to continually improve the value of the KFMA program to the farm families of Kansas.
Specific responsibilities to the KFMA educational program include:
- Develop and deliver a training program for new KFMA Economists
- Guide the Professional Development program for all KFMA Economists
- Work with KFMA leadership in identifying future professional development needs
- Develop tools and make resources available to KFMA Economists for delivery of the KFMA program
- Facilitate regular information flow to KFMA Economists related to farm financial management, income tax management and transition/succession planning issues
- Assist in development of tools and resources for member use in management and record keeping
- Promote improved networking between economists and between associations
- Collaborate in development of a KFMA Internship program
- Co-edit KFMA Newsletter
- Develop material to facilitate fee-based transition/succession planning workshops
- Assist KFMA Executive Director and KFMA Associate Director in efforts of data collection and distribution
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Economics, Accounting, Finance, Agricultural Education or related field.
- Three years of experience in a position in one of the following areas: agricultural economics, agricultural finance, agribusiness, accounting, agricultural education or related field (Master’s degree may substitute for work experience)
- Master’s degree in Agricultural Economics or related field (degree may substitute for work experience requirement)
- Evidence of strong leadership skills in previous work and educational experiences
- Demonstrated expertise in understanding and communicating sound farm accounting principles and economic relationships in agriculture
- Minimum of 6 hours of courses in accounting; a 3.0 or better GPA (4.0 scale)
- At least five years of experience working as a Farm Management Economist or in a similar position.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with individuals and groups
- Good understanding of the agriculture industry and of farm operations
- Proven ability to effectively utilize computer technology, software and applications
- Evidence of solid planning, prioritization and organizational skills
- Strong commitment to expanding and fostering diversity and to building strong relationships
- Proven ability to deal with the demands of providing training and support to varied individuals and groups, along with both self-discipline to work independently and flexibility to work as part of a team
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please upload cover letter, resume, official transcripts and email addresses for three professional references.
For more information contact: Mark Dikeman, Associate Director, Kansas Farm Management Association Program.
Office/Mobile: (785)364-0590; or, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The KFMA program website is www.Agmanager.info/KFMA
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
Screening of Applications Begins:October 20, 2017, and will continue until the position is filled. To assure a review, please submit a cover letter, resume, email addresses for three professional references, and all official transcripts by this date. The starting date for the position is on or after November 27, 2017.
Salary Range/ Pay Rate:
Commensurate with training and experience. $53,515-$85,623.
This position will be considered an unclassified staff in the Department of Agricultural Economics, Kansas State University, and have all benefits of University staff, including group insurance, tax sheltered annuities, liability coverage, use of University facilities, and the opportunity to purchase staff tickets for athletic and other events.
- A retirement program under the Kansas Board of Regents' retirement plan, Social Security, health and life insurance.
- Annual leave of 22 working days per year, plus holidays.
- Accumulative sick leave equal to 12 days per year.
- Work injury benefits under the Worker's Compensation Act.
- Reimbursement for travel and subsistence related to achieving program objectives.
- Transportation (either department provided vehicle or mileage reimbursement) will be provided.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.