Director of Retail Services
The Upper Iowa University invites applications for a Director of Retail Services. The Director of Retail Services manages the University’s auxiliary services, including PAVO Blue – university’s downtown Coffee & Apparel Shop, on-campus Apparel & Supplies store, Print Shop/Mail Room, Events Management, Contracted Food Services, Retail Property Tenants, and Bookstore Vendor relationship and coordination.
• Monitor process measurements of assigned areas of responsibility and make recommendations to the Chief Financial Officer for process improvements to achieve improve efficiency, cost effectiveness, and implement continuous improvement.
• Manage numerous departmental budgets.
• Actively manages the PAVO stores operations, including merchandising, displays, purchase decisions, analysis of stock, sales & sales trends, and supervision of the Retail Coordinator.
• Ensures all assigned staff timely work collaboratively in evaluating current Materials Management and Print Shop business, Events management, and Auxiliary Services processes to identify opportunities to configure the Jenzabar system to include national best practice more efficient/effective business processes.
• Fulfills department head responsibilities, such as: establishing goals and objectives, monitoring budgets and developing operating procedures for the Auxiliary Services department and related functions including duplicating and mailing services, and vending machine services.
• Functions as the key liaison with MBS (bookstore vendor) to ensure that students are well served and that there is coordination between all departments on the campus that are involved with the ordering process.
• Measures the performance of the department, the subcontracted bookstore/vending/food services operations and all related staff, and takes corrective action when necessary. This includes conducting and analyzing surveys and frequently reviewing revenues and expenditures, and developing inventory min/max systems and levels.
• Creates periodic and routine reports and analyses for presentation to staff, faculty, administration, and the Board of Trustees.
• Serves as a liaison to internal and external individuals, groups, and agencies to share and disseminate information related to the purchasing function and to maintain partnerships.
• Perform related duties as required.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, with a major in Business management, Operations, Finance, Economics, or closely related discipline, supplemented by a minimum of three (3) years of related experience.
• Master’s degree, preferred, and 3 years directly related experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as approved by the Human Resources Department.
• Strong financial analysis skills including ability to compute return on investment (ROI), payback period, internal rate of return (IRR), hurdle rate, cost vs. benefit, and other financial metrics.
• Proven ability to communicate both verbally and in writing in a meaningful manner with all stakeholders.
Interested applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. To apply, visit http://uiu.peopleadmin.com/postings/747. Upper Iowa University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.