This position performs skilled work in making signs using specialized computer software and equipment, knows building and code requirements for the sign specifications and for the installation of signs. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works at a desk environment while making signs. While installing signs the employee is subject to an indoor environment and outdoor environment and may be required to work from a ladder. While working in the shop area, may be subjected to a moderately loud environment.
- Performs skilled sign making tasks to include the interpretation of codes, drawings and specialized software, layout of the signs, fabrication of the signs and installation of the signs.
- Performs maintenance and repair of engraving machine.
- Prepares sign estimates for individual work orders and for major construction projects.
- Maintains appropriate levels of stock and orders supplies for various signs.
- Fabricates mock up signs for approval.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to read and interpret work orders and be able to communicate effectively with supervisor, co-workers and customers.
- Must have good spelling skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret blue print drawings.
- Basic math skills are used for sign layout, estimating cost of signs, ordering supplies and maintaining appropriate stock for the sign shop.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions in written, oral and diagram form.
- Must be able to interpret codes that apply to sign installation and use judgment when to ask for clarification from management or the University architect.
- Competency in making and installing all types of signs.
- Knowledge of Auto Cad is desired to create evacuation signs from electronic copies of floor plans.
- Knowledge of computerized sign making equipment including engraving on various mediums, vinyl application to various kinds of substrates and general knowledge of sign and graphic design.
- High School diploma.
- Valid Colorado driver's license and be insurable under University guidelines.
- Must pass a Pre-Placement Physical.
- Five years of experience in sign making.
- Knowledge of ADA rules and regulations as it pertains to signing, fire and building code requirements for sign manufacturing and installation.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Monday, October 9, 2017.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check, Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) and Pre-Placement Physical.