Programmer/Analyst, UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science
Under general supervision from the manager of the Department Computing Facility, this person functions as a network and security programmer for the Computer Science Department. Additional responsibilities include proactive management of network performance, application of upgrades/patches or modifications to ensure security and high performance, and analysis of network performance issues to determine root-cause and develop solutions.
Provides technical support related to outages, problems, incidents and upgrades; conducts analysis of complex problems or issues; diagnosis of issues relating to networking infrastructure and application performance. Will lift, move and carry computing equipment and tools.
Work independently to set internal procedures and priorities to maintain network reliability.
In depth knowledge and extensive experience in the technical responsibility of an infrastructure with over 1,300 devices consisting of, but not limited to, 4 Cisco routers, 100+ network switches, and 100+ servers running Solaris, Linux, and Microsoft Windows Server platforms.
- Demonstrated experience in Systems/Network Engineering or Administration.
- Skilled with IP routing/switching technologies and protocols including TCP/IP, OSPF, BGP, SNMP, QoS, IPsec, GRE, DNS and their best-practices, fault-tolerant use at enterprise scale.
- Demonstrated detailed knowledge of the Unix operating system and available system resources like X Window, Sendmail, Domain Name Server, etc.
- Working knowledge of security issues in Linux, Windows, and macOS environments and the ability to create solutions.
- Ability to image machines using Ghost or other tools.
- Demonstrated detailed knowledge of installing and maintaining VPNs.
- Demonstrated detailed knowledge to provide support/maintenance for hardware, including, but not limited to, printers, servers, and network devices.
- Experience with network monitoring tools such as Nagios and analyzers such as Wireshark, NetStumbler and tcpdump to analyze packets to conduct root cause analysis and problem resolution.
- Ability to work as a team member with other technical staff to communicate problems and solutions to ensure a timely response and problem resolution.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends (24/7 support) if necessary.
Full information concerning the job qualifications are listed on the official UCLA job posting.
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants may apply for this position using the UCLA Career Opportunities website. Go to https://hr.mycareer.ucla.edu and search for Requisition 26661. Or, quicklink: http://ucla.in/2xNejP5
UCLA offers a comprehensive benefits package, including an average of three weeks’ vacation per year; an average of 12 days sick leave per year; 13 paid holidays per year; health, dental and optical benefits; life insurance; disability insurance; the University of California Retirement Plan with 5 year vesting; and various voluntary UC Savings Plans. One free Extension class per quarter. There also special programs and privileges available, such as accessibility to cultural and recreational programs, athletic events, and the University Credit Union.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.